X - Gravel - MTB...head's a spin...

bold seagull
bold seagull Posts: 145
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm a roadie by nature, my preferred cycling when the choice is there. But, I live right on the South Downs, and am itching to get a bike suitable for blasting around for an hour or so.

Was looking at the B'Twin Rockrider 560 as an entry level performer to get me out onto the Downs, but then I'm wondering for the trails and well ridden paths of the Downs, whether I just need a cyclocross or gravel bike (afterall, I have actually been over part of the Downs on my road bike on 23mm tyres and survived to tell the tale, after I got lost and reached a dead end...).

I guess a cyclocross / gravel adventure bike makes sense as it can be used as a winter trainer, will have interchangeable parts with the road bike, I might even enter some local cyclocross races I guess...

Or do you really need the MTB experience, suspension forks to properly enjoy tackling more challenging routes?

Or get the cyclocross, and if that works and I'm enjoying it, then progress onto an MTB....(I might be answering my own question here...)...

Comments