big, all weather tyres and new cockpit

lawman
lawman Posts: 6,868
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
As a longtime mountain biker I'm looking to get myself a nice all-round road bike, a so called "adventure" if you like to follow industry lingo and I've got a Genesis Datum frameset on order. I've picked most of the build, 105 drive and brakes, Hunt wheels, Fabric saddle etc but the last 2 things I'm unsure of are tyres and cockpit.

Tyre wise with it able to take 32c tyres with mudguards I've looked around and there's a few that stick out, Conti Gatorskins or 4 seasons or as a left field choice some 30mm Challenge strada bianca's which I rather like due to the tanwalls and they seem to get very good write ups, but as a mountain biker I have very little real-world experience of these or if there are any other options I should be looking at. Are there any others I should be looking at and has anyone used the tyres mentioned above?

My other dilemna is what cockpit to go for. I don't want/need anything too fancy, just something solid, functional and looks reasonable. I've used Easton bars and stems for years on my MTB's so EA70 bar, stem and post were top of the list, but there is anything else that's better or comparable for similar money? My OCD demands mean ideally i'd like it all to match! :oops:

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,790
    Deda Zero 100.
  • I'm considering these as my next tyres - plan to run them tubeless on my London Road when I fit the new wheels... http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/road-reader/schwalbe-s-one.html
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,702
    Vitoria Randoneur Pro are big, comfy and roll well. Don't know if they'll go tubeless but you might want to consider that.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Gatorskins are durable, but slippery in the wet, even worn in. I settled on 32mm Vredestein Perfect Tour for commuting on glass strewn, sharp kerb 'cycling pathways' ; i find it a decent compromise between some speed, comfort and hose-like 'puncture proof' juggernauts.

Thomson, Bentrager, Pro seem to make strong stems, can't really go wrong; i don't know what kind of money Easton are, but i like Syntace gear and their stuff might appeal to you as a mountain biker.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Thanks for the feedback all, much appreciated! I've had a look at some 3T Ergonova's bars today and they look rather nice, anyone used 3T parts in the past, it all looked very nicely made, just interested to hear peoples feedback :)

Anyone used challenge tyres and can advise on ride quality and durability?
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I have the challenge tyres but have only done 17km on them! For those 17 they were very comfortable though. ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.