garmin edge 510 return

muzzan
muzzan Posts: 203
edited November 2015 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I've returned an edge 510 to Garmin for a replacement (not under warranty), and just got an email saying they had received it & giving a link to track the progress. However, when I tracked it I was surprised to see the product being prepared for shipping was the new 520, not the 510. I'd be happy if this were the case, but seems too good to be true? Anyone else verify if this has happened to them?

Ta

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yep they do sometimes upgrade during a repair
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Yep they do sometimes upgrade during a repair

Happened with me, sent my 705 back but they didn't have any available and couldn't give me a date so gave me two choices. I could wait for 705s to become available or would I take an 800, needless to say I went for the latter and bagged an 800 with premium HRM and cadence sensor which I sold as I already had them on my bike with the 705.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • muzzan
    Encouraging news, I will wait expectantly for the package. Funnily enough I'd just cancelled my Strava premium trial cause the live segments on the 510 are pretty poor, may have to revisit that with the 520 if it comes :D
  • muzzan
    So, just to say that indeed I did get a 520 through, including the HRM, & ANT+ sensors & out front mount. And, so far they haven't taken the £45...happy days.

On the other hand, I'm missing the touch screen a bit, & it seems to be taking longer to find satellites...so careful what you wish for etc...

Anyway, might be useful for anyone who is having "issues" with their 510 to know... :wink:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    You are fretting over nothing. Touchscreen on the 520 is a ott considering the size of it.
    My 520 GPS's inside 5 seconds when inside the house almost.
    You just have to learn the button sequence to zoom the mapping etc etc
    The only real and practical downside of the 520 is its lack of MicroSD slot.

• Anyway, might be useful for anyone who is having "issues" with their 510 to know... :wink:

What 'issues' were you having?
  • muzzan

Anyway, might be useful for anyone who is having "issues" with their 510 to know... :wink:

What 'issues' were you having?

The connector tabs had broken off. Did quite a few miles with one side broken before the other side went & sent the unit bouncing down the road :( Still, all's well that ends well :-)