What to buy?

b_akroyd
b_akroyd Posts: 2
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Need some advice...

Looking for a new bike based on a budget of around £1000.00. I previously have used an entry level hardtail (Specialized Hardrock) but live close to the Surrey Hills and I want to get into this great sport.

I have previously struggled on the Hardrock as it is not the lightest and has very basic components, so I am keen to hear thoughts on what brand / models you recommend. Do I buy second hand or new? I have been advised that based on my budget I should only consider hard tail as suspension is not worthy of consideration under £1K...

Thanks in anticipation of your response/s.

Ben

Comments

• Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    There's so many answers to this question.

Assuming that you are going to be be mainly riding the Surrey Hills. For a grand, then you may find that the hardtail is a better bet.

That said, Cannondale have a ridiculously low price on a Trigger (it got panned in the reviews at £3k...but at £950 it's an absolute steal!), Calibre Bossnut seems to be picking up impressive reviews (from Go Outdoors) - so there are some great bargains in the FS category..... and I still think the Boardman range is pretty decent...both HT and FS. They do everything reasonably well - without setting the world alight, but are usually pretty light for the price point.

For most trails on the Surrey Hills, you can use either bike just fine. There are a few where a FS would be advantageous. But Also consider that with the FS comes maintenance. pivot bearings will need changing after a bad winter (well...mine do!), and the shock and fork should probably get a sleeve service once a year (fork for both FS and HT).

If you like the simplicity of less maintenance through the winter months, then a trail hardtail may be more suitable for you.