Cutting Giant OverDrive 2 Steerer

Djd3737
Djd3737 Posts: 82
edited October 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I want to cut down the steerer on my Giant Propel 2014, which has the OverDrive 2 Steerer, a carbon steerer with what looks like an alloy sleeve glued in it, the sleeve has some more alloy in it, to guide a (bespoke) star nut I think.

Anyway all this is a lot different from the carbon and alu steerers I have cut in the past, anyone know if cutting it is possible (cut through the steerer, sleeve and the grooves), knocking the star nut futher down or does the sleeve need removing somehow.

I have a right stack of spacers on top at the moment, don't like the look.

Steve

Comments

• Djd3737
    This doesn't bode well
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I just got the bike shop to do it so cant help out much - however they did it while i waited so i saw a bit of the process and the sleeve thing is the expander wedge which i'm pretty sure they removed and took out before cutting the steerer.
  • Thats right. Carbon steerer dont use star nut. They use an expanding nut. You would have cracked your steerer in two if you tried to knock that thing down.
  • Djd3737
    Let me get a picture as I am pretty sure it is not using an expansion plug (I have cut down other carbon steerers with expansion plugs).

But it is looking like a job for a shop.
  • Giant Overdrive 2 steerers, (like those that come with some, [or all?] Cervelos) do indeed come with an alloy sleeve + star nut which is bonded into place. IIRC, the Giant owners' manual says that the steerer cannot be cut again once the alloy sleeve + star nut have been bonded into place.