Assos or Rapha Winter Gloves

piersj01
piersj01 Posts: 32
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Anyone have any goo advice on whether the Assos Bonka or Early Winter gloves or Rapha Winter gloves are any good in terms of durability, waterproofness and thermal qualities.

Thanks

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    All are good but depends if you run hot or cold but they are spendy. Layering is often the way to go with Assos doing the 3 glove system and I think Rapha now offer the same with a liner, a glove and a lobster claw (plus others eg merino or neoprene). Prendas Air Tunnel work for me with a wool or fleece liner and it depends on the temp and how long I am going to be out
    M.Rushton
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    If you buy Assos, check the quality of the stitching - I've had to send back a pair of a Early Winter and a pair of Fugu gloves because the stitching was undoing. The replacement Early Winters aren't put together brilliantly either. (BTW - the Fugu gloves aren't very good). That said, the last pair of Rapha mitts I bought went back because the wrist size was different on one from the other.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    I feel the cold, especially in my hands. I tried the rapha winter gloves and found them not quite warm enough so went with the rapha deep winter for when it's really cold. These are the first gloves I've had that I'm comfortable in when it gets to zero-ish. Above that I tend to use merino liners with a windproof, non-insulated outer, which I find I'm good with until 4 degrees, then i switch to deep winter.

I suspect that most people would be fine with the normal winter glove in UK conditions.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you buy Assos, check the quality of the stitching - I've had to send back a pair of a Early Winter and a pair of Fugu gloves because the stitching was undoing. The replacement Early Winters aren't put together brilliantly either. (BTW - the Fugu gloves aren't very good). That said, the last pair of Rapha mitts I bought went back because the wrist size was different on one from the other.

Had the same problem with Assos Early Winter S7's. Even apart from that they were awful gloves IMO. Seams felt very uncomfortable.
    My advice would be to avoid them.

Only Assos item (not that I have that many) I have not liked. Slightly weird that I disliked them so much.

Assos liner gloves are fantastic.
    Like the other Assos gloves I ended up with too, not sure what they are called but they look a bit Spiderman/Michael Jackson.