Can you sell me on SRAM Rival?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,577
edited October 2015 in Commuting chat
I have found a bike that I really like the look of, and it can be purchased for £420 below rrp.

The only downside for me, as a Shimano (105/Ultegra) user with Shimano toolkit, is that it is fitted with SRAM Rival.

How different are they, and can I still maintain the bike with my existing toolkit, or would I need a whole new set?

How good are the SRAM hydraulic brakes, versus Shimano R685's?
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• I have found a bike that I really like the look of, and it can be purchased for £420 below rrp.

The only downside for me, as a Shimano (105/Ultegra) user with Shimano toolkit, is that it is fitted with SRAM Rival.

How different are they, and can I still maintain the bike with my existing toolkit, or would I need a whole new set?

Is it yellow?
  • ror3h
    ror3h Posts: 68
    I recently had the same dilemma, eventually caved in as it was such a bargain. I'll say the brakes are great (even though the rear needed bleeding out of the box), but I'm not a fan of the SRAM shifting. It didn't help that the bike was badly set up (rear hanger was slightly bent and front mech was throwing the chain off the big ring). I like the idea of the yaw front mech, but it's a bastard to set up correctly. So, I'll be replacing the groupset with shimano di2 hydraulic at some point in the future.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I have found a bike that I really like the look of, and it can be purchased for £420 below rrp.

My last bike was Rival, but not hydraulic. Never had any problems with it, and got used to double tap very easily.

Forget '£420 off RRP' - how much is it actually and what's the rest of the spec?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daniel_b

Is it yellow?

Ha! I did find a nice Colnago, but not in my size, but no this is a dark, almost British racing green Cannondale Synapse Disc - with fitted mudguards.

Frame:Synapse Alloy Disc, Optimized 6061 Alloy, SAVE PLUS, BB30
    Fork:Synapse SAVE Disc, Carbon blades, 1-1/8"
    Front Derailleur:SRAM Rival 22, 31.8 clamp
    Rear Derailleur:SRAM Rival 22 WiFli
    Number of Gears:22
    Shifters:SRAM Rival 22 HRD
    Chainset:FSA Gossamer, BB30
    Chainrings:50/34T
    Bottom Bracket:FSA BB30
    Cassette:SRAM Rival, 11-32, 11-speed
    Brakeset:SRAM Rival HRD hydraulic disc, 160/140mm
    Handlebars:Cannondale C3 Compact, butted 6061 alloy
    Stem:Cannondale C3, 6061 Alloy, 31.8, 6 deg
    Headset:Synapse Si, 25mm top cap
    Grips:Cannondale Grip Bar Tape w/Gel, 3.5mm
    Rims:Maddux RD 2.0 Disc, 28-hole
    Front Hub:Formula CX20
    Rear Hub:Formula CX22
    Front Tyre:Schwalbe Lugano folding, 700×25c
    Rear Tyre:Schwalbe Lugano folding, 700×25c
    Saddle:Cannondale Stage Ergo Rivet Classic

I realise it may well be slightly overpriced at £1599 as the 2016 model, that appears identical, although a different colour scheme, is on for £1299.

My work place has a scheme where I can charge up a card to save 10%, and I think I can still go through topcashback, which would chop another 5% off.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • If you're a 54 or 56, bike24 have the Synapse Adventure for 1479 yoyos, or under 1100 quid after delivery.
  • daniel_b
    Hi MM,

thanks for that, I did notice it there, and it seemed a good price at circa £1100 - but then they charge 90 Euros for postage, so more like £1150.

Evans is £1200, but I can charge up a card to save 10%, and still go through TCB for another 5% off, which I think would bring it down to comething like £1030, so a good bit cheaper.

However I still think it might be a little tasty price wise for the spec?

And I still don't know if my shimano tools will allow me to maintain a SRAM bike - I know the rear cassette uses the same spline pattern, so am I safe to assume a standard cassette tooill enable me to remove it?
    Also assuming a chain is a chain with regards to removal.

There's not too much else really I suppose, most of it will be allen keys I assume - how do you get the cranks and bb out, are they a different pattern to Shimano ones?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • backo
    backo Posts: 167
    I run both Shimano and SRAM bikes.

Cassette tool is the same, chains are compatible with both.
    Unless more recent SRAM cranksets have changed you will need a crank removal tool similar to this

http://www.laxzo.com/silverline-bike-crank-removal-tool-chrome-plated-carbon-steel-crank-removal-tool-12700-p.asp

Everything else is allan keys as you would expect......I see you are looking at a cannondale which has a bb30 bottom bracket as such you will need specific tools to remove and replace the bottom bracket.
  • Crank removal/fitting requires a 10mm Allen key.

BB is removed with drifts, inexpensive.
    Fitting the BB requires a press. 20 quid will get you a simple one off eBay.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Nothing wrong with SRAM, or Rival. Have SRAM on all my bikes now (Apex, Rival and Force), all are a pleasure to use. Also used to have a bike with 105 and can confirm tool compatibility. I know this is typical "each to their own" territory but I have turned down new bikes coz they come with 105 or Ultegra, preferring SRAM. Latest casualty was a 105-equipped GT Grade carbon, but currently rethinking!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • daniel_b
    Nothing wrong with SRAM, or Rival. Have SRAM on all my bikes now (Apex, Rival and Force), all are a pleasure to use. Also used to have a bike with 105 and can confirm tool compatibility. I know this is typical "each to their own" territory but I have turned down new bikes coz they come with 105 or Ultegra, preferring SRAM. Latest casualty was a 105-equipped GT Grade carbon, but currently rethinking!

That's good to know L2R :D

I already have one of those ebay/hardware store tools, and used it to fit both headsets to the CR1 and Contessa.
    Bit scary, but slowly does it and they went in plumb straight!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Well, then you're boxed for tools.
  • daniel_b
    This review is less than glowing, or appears to be at only 3 stars:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/components/groupsets/groupset-road/product/review-sram-rival-22-hydraulic-disc-groupset-15-49616/

On the brink of ordering the synapse adventure - with work discount and through topcashback it weighs in at £1030.

Not a steal at that price, but it makes it no less pricey than a Planet X London Road with the same groupset, so I think is still ok - and more importantly (for me) I think it looks rather darned nice, and would still look nice with a pair of black wheels at a future date.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    All 3 brands work well, the question is one of personal taste. The only way to answer your question is to go ride it. I found out that CycleSurgery do free tests at the weekend so I'd go and express interest in a bike with SRAM gears that happens to be your size...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b

That's a cracking price and spec, just a bit of an uninspiring colour scheme.

But yes, pound for pound, and vfm that's the best out there I agree.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    ...and yes, Shimano and SRAM use the same tools for everything, except the Bottom Bracket which is frame specific anyway
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    ...and yes, Shimano and SRAM use the same tools for everything, except the Bottom Bracket which is frame specific anyway

Ta, and dumbass question, but I assume gear and brake cables are also completely generic?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • For SRAM/Shimano, Campagnolo is a little different.
  • dhope

Ta, and dumbass question, but I assume gear and brake cables are also completely generic?
    Probably not for hydraulic brakes...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ddraver

Not sure, but no hydraulics won't need cables.

With gear cables, SRAM uses 1.1mm and Shimano use 1.2mm. Now I have serious doubts that this makes any difference whatsoever but if you buy Shimano cables then they may perform a little less well. Any other gear cable company will be 1.1mm.
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b

Probably not for hydraulic brakes...

I was just, ummm, checking you were paying attention.....
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I've bikes with all the major groups from SRAM, Shimano and Campy - most 10-speed, though (Campy 11).

The one SRAM road bike I have was Apex when I bought it but has been upgraded over the years to Force and Red mix. The yaw action on the FD is nice for a bike with short chainstays as it prevents chain rub when I do that cross-chain thing you are never, ever supposed to do (well, in 1968).

The Double-tap shift action is different, for sure, and you'll have some mis-shifts until you get used to it. However, it functions quite well. I'm no fan of Shimano 105 shifting (RDs, yes, shifters, no - recable one and we can discuss the routing) so maybe it's horses for courses.

As someone who builds his own bikes up, I'd say SRAM/GXP chainset is the nicest mechanically - easy to install and service. Shimano stipulates that the non-drive arm has to be retorqued after 100-200 miles of use. I wonder how many times that actually happens? Their cranksets are quite finicky by comparison to SRAM.

But Campy takes the cake - you can either have Power Torque - which goes together OK but comes apart with hammers and tongs, or Ultra Torque, which is an elegant half-design (in that it fails to accommodate variances in BB shell width. Then again, Super Record shifters are like silk and butter...

I broke a SRAM APEX shifter and couldn't believe how much a replacement cost - you could almost buy a complete Tiagra groupset for the same price- so be aware of that. Oh - and SRAM has Wifli RDs, so if you need a large cog it's more easily added (although Shimano has quietly increased their capacity as well).

BTW - I've put in a few pressfit BBs now and a small block of wood and (maybe) a rubber mallet is more than adequate. The fits seem quite variable, so if it goes in very easy you might want to go the Loctite route to stave off creaks later on.
  • ...and yes, Shimano and SRAM use the same tools for everything, except the Bottom Bracket which is frame specific anyway

Actually SRAM cable gear inners are thinner than Shimano, so you can use them in Shimano outers, but not vice versa. Likewise you can use campagnolo inners in the other shifters, but not vice-versa (without some grinding)
  • daniel_b
    Thankyou Steve, detailed and thought out post there - appreciate the input, really useful.

And thankyou UE for the gear cable info.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Double tap is awful. Every time I try it I am reminded of how terrible it is. Only sram worth considering as far as I can see is the new electronic one. Otherwise campag (if you can afford the silly tool prices) or shimano for mechanical.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • daniel_b
    Double tap is awful. Every time I try it I am reminded of how terrible it is. Only sram worth considering as far as I can see is the new electronic one. Otherwise campag (if you can afford the silly tool prices) or shimano for mechanical.

lol, well too late I have just ordered!

Worst case if I really don't get on with it, I can 105\Ultegra the bike in a few years.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Double tap is awful. Every time I try it I am reminded of how terrible it is.

It's a bit marmite, isn't it? I'm quite the opposite, much prefer the speed of shifting, shorter throws and much more positive-feeling shifting on my SRAM-equipped bike to my Shimano bike.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • dhope
    Double tap is awful. Every time I try it I am reminded of how terrible it is.

It's a bit marmite, isn't it? I'm quite the opposite, much prefer the speed of shifting, shorter throws and much more positive-feeling shifting on my SRAM-equipped bike to my Shimano bike.
    Yep. I'm on Ultegra now and get on with it fine. But it took a little while to get used to and if I ever need to borrow the OH's SRAM Apex equipped bike then I definitely notice the positive feel of the shifting.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo