KS Lev E-Ten dropping on its own?

RipGroove
RipGroove Posts: 43
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
http://www.ubyk.co.uk/ks-lev-e-ten-remote/18866

Brand new a week ago, has been fine until today where while climbing (sitting on the saddle) it slowly drops back down all the way. My first thought was maybe the cable is a bit tight so it's actuating the post a bit so have just adjusted that a little BUT surely if that were the case the post would also rise on its own when it shouldn't, which it doesn't. Now that the cable has been adjusted a little I'll give it a test ride tomorrow but I don't think its down to that. Anyone else had a similar issue?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Possibly needs some air.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Possibly needs some air.

I'll have a look, the manual is no help so how much air should go in to it?
  • Actually looking at it I don't think I can put any air in to it. It's one of the cheaper ones with the sealed internals I believe.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Anything with air inside is going to have a valve.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    They're sealed cartridge shocks, I believe it's a common problem on the earlier ones.
  • They're sealed cartridge shocks, I believe it's a common problem on the earlier ones.
    Well it'll be going back to the shop then if my cable adjustment hasn't worked.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    I have the KS Eten R and it's always the cable. I spent lot of time fiddling with the post itself, thinking it must be something serious, until I figured out it was just gunk in the cable. Now that I keep the cable clean, which is easypeasy, I have no trouble at all. It's a very good post. I've done a ton of upgrades on my bike and 'dropper post' was on the list. But I've found it to be so good that I now have no desire to change it. Just keep that cable running smooth.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I have the KS Eten R and it's always the cable. I spent lot of time fiddling with the post itself, thinking it must be something serious, until I figured out it was just gunk in the cable. Now that I keep the cable clean, which is easypeasy, I have no trouble at all. It's a very good post. I've done a ton of upgrades on my bike and 'dropper post' was on the list. But I've found it to be so good that I now have no desire to change it. Just keep that cable running smooth.

Hmm my cable is super clean as its brand new! I've adjusted it a little so will have to test it out.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Hav a look at where the cable ends under the seat and make sure the 'lug' on the end of th cable outer is located under the stopper on the post. Occasionally that pops out on mine. I'd guess that's not your issue, but worth checking, just in case.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Hav a look at where the cable ends under the seat and make sure the 'lug' on the end of th cable outer is located under the stopper on the post. Occasionally that pops out on mine. I'd guess that's not your issue, but worth checking, just in case.
    Yeah thanks I've already checked all that out. I take it that little grub screw on that lug is there to secure the outer cable in place?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Not on a KS post but had the same issue on the original giant dropper, was cable tension. Hopefully adjusting the cable sorts it for you
  • Not on a KS post but had the same issue on the original giant dropper, was cable tension. Hopefully adjusting the cable sorts it for you
    Well that sounds promising, hopefully that's all it is. I might try to fit a barrel adjuster to it somewhere as currently there is no adjustment other than actually moving the cable stopper around which isn't all that precise.
  • I guess the easy thing to do is actually unhook the cable completely and go for a ride and that will either eliminate or incriminate the cable.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I had problems with my Eten R which was rectified by cleaning the actuator arm pivot (take the grub screw out clean with an ear bud and pick and then apply grease) then you need to make sure the cable tension is spot on. If you have the standard remote the end of the noodle is a barrel adjuster. Too much tension is just enough to pull the actuator slightly so with a little weight it drops the post very slowly. However its not compressed enough to allow it to return. With the correct tension and making sure the actuator arm pivot is clean it works perfectly! However if its really mucky you can guarantee it needs the arm stripping and cleaning. Its only a 5 minute job.
  • I had problems with my Eten R which was rectified by cleaning the actuator arm pivot (take the grub screw out clean with an ear bud and pick and then apply grease) then you need to make sure the cable tension is spot on. If you have the standard remote the end of the noodle is a barrel adjuster. Too much tension is just enough to pull the actuator slightly so with a little weight it drops the post very slowly. However its not compressed enough to allow it to return. With the correct tension and making sure the actuator arm pivot is clean it works perfectly! However if its really mucky you can guarantee it needs the arm stripping and cleaning. Its only a 5 minute job.
    It's definitely all VERY clean, I've just had a look and you're right there is a barrel adjuster, didn't notice it at first as its pretty stealthy. Now I know it's there I can tweak until the tension is perfect. Thanks!