Bike for a 4 year old

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I want to get my daughter a bike for her 4th birthday. She's got a balance bike that she has mastered.

I was wondering if people had any advice on whether its worth spending on a 'better' bike, like the frog, islabike, specialized ones that cost about £200. Or whether a £50 to £100 version from Halfords etc would be just as good for her?

I suppose I want it to be easy to ride to encourage her to ride it more, to be of a reasonable quality so that it doesnt break and last so that her little sister can inherit it. But lets face it, she's 4 and wont use it anywhere near as much as the rest of us use ours, and the weights quoted for even the expensive ones seems massive considering how small they are.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• 86inch
    86inch Posts: 161
    Many will decry islabikes but you really can't go wrong with them. They are good quality, well sized and great to ride. Even if you look at it from a "financial only" standpoint. Our boys have had plenty of islabikes between them. They loved them and so did we as I think we got 75% of our money back when we sold them on.
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    The new Carrera kids ones in Halford's surprised me when I looked at them the other day, they had some 14" and 16" wheeled ones that were crazy light for kids bikes.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,032
    Decathlon do good kids bikes and stuff like the Ridgebacks are good or you can buy one of the more expensive brands - they will be that little bit lighter - no right answer really so long as it's not some boat anchor with barbie stickers all over it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]