Looking for a RB around £500 for leisure usage

bikebeginner
bikebeginner Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
A beginner needs your help!!! Main uses are weekend travel and short distance travel from school back home.
Have been checking the Online stores for weeks :roll: , interested in several bikes:
1)Giant Defy 2 2015
2)Specialized Allez 2015
3)Felt F95 2015
4)Orbea Avant H40 Limited Edition 2015

With a budget around £500, other any suggestions are welcomed!!!!
Of course the price would prefer as low as possible 8)

Comments

• Hi all, please help. Thank you so much.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Hi all, please help. Thank you so much.

You won't go too far wrong with any of the above. The Allez is a well regarded frame that can benefit from upgrading at a later date if you feel the need.

For your budget (or close to it) you should also check out the Decathlon BTwin range. In particular the BTwin 520

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-road-bike-sora-white-orange-id_8331464.html

Best you should try to arrange a test ride - even if that means blagging a bit in your LBS or Decathlon. You need to be sure that you order the correct size and that you like the "feel" of the bike before pulling thew trigger
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Plenty of Cannondale options available with decent discounts here:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b65s6p0/Road-Bikes/CANNONDALE/Racing-Road-Racing

Cannondale are renowned for their alu frames so any of the bikes are worthy of an upgrade if you get the road bike bug ... Some of the wheels are a bit 'sturdy' but would get you through the winter months, plus if you buy closer to the £400 mark you can get Mavic Aksiums or Fulcrum 7's for around £100 as a reasonable upgrade ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • poddy
    poddy Posts: 52
    I have a Specialized Allez Sport (so one step up from what you're looking at) and I've been really please with it. I'm a leisure rider, started off quite small in terms of distance but now do 80+mile rides on this bike.

The review at the time really rated the frame as previous poster has said. If you then find you really like road cycling you can then upgrade the parts-which is what I'm starting to think about.

Any of those bikes would be great though I'm sure. Have you considered a hybrid bike? Flat handle-bars but otherwise like a road bike? Not sure what your plans are but might be okay unless you plan to do longer rides.