New MTB

kawaspresso
kawaspresso Posts: 106
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi !
I'm looking to upgrade from my 2003 Giant XTC 2. I never had a full suspension bike, so I don't know if it's better for me, I'm not a racer, more an endurance rider.
I noticed the Scott Scale 950, Specialized Crave Comp 29 and Giant XTC Advanced 3 for hardtrail
And for full suspension : Giant Anthem 3, Canyon Nerve AL.
Which one is better for technical climbs, lot of roots and mud and still confortable in technical descents ?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Anthem would be my choice. I had one and it's brilliant.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Agreed, the Anthem is a great bike - I still have one of the early ones.

Brilliant climber and surprisingly tough and capable on rougher stuff - though it's not a bike to just try to ride 'roughshod' on techy downhills
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For more Enduro length rides, on anything but very smooth surface you will fatigue less on an FS and be able to keep going longer, as pointed out on tech climbs they can be easier than an HT, Anthem would be a good choice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I agree with Rookie. I went from an XTC to an Anthem. Although the Anthem was 2lb heavier it was much less fatiguing on long rides due to the rear suspension
  • kinioo
    kinioo Posts: 776
    Well ,probably guys above are correct re: HT and FS etc. - I am currently looking for a 'good' second hand HT for winter time and also for longer trips with panniers.

If you go for FS I would recommend Giant Anthem - I got myself X2 2013 - as it was 50% off @ Pauls and boy this machine is fast !!

Good luck and let us know what you opted for ?!

Chris