Crank Removal

jefflad
jefflad Posts: 315
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm stuggling to remove the cranks in the photo. Trying a 8mm hex key and trying to turn anti-clockwise but no budge... I have also tried clockwise, just in case and to see if I can get any movement... I can't.

Anyone help with some advice?

IMG_1231_zpsro8tebfd.jpg

IMG_1232_zpsogmjl9kn.jpg

Comments

• Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    LH stands for left hand, try clockwise to untighten, and be sure to get a good allen key and extra leverage, oh and watch those knuckles!!!
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Ignore the previous post unless you want to b*gger the threads!
    The left-hand thread is for the self-extracting bolt retainer - it needs to be tight. The inner screw is the one that holds the crank on - anti-clockwise the unscrew. You'll not get enough leverage with a normal allen-key hence why it won't budge - an 8mm hardened-steel hex key bit and a foot-long breaker bar it what you need.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • jefflad
    jefflad Posts: 315
    Ignore the previous post unless you want to b*gger the threads!
    The left-hand thread is for the self-extracting bolt retainer - it needs to be tight. The inner screw is the one that holds the crank on - anti-clockwise the unscrew. You'll not get enough leverage with a normal allen-key hence why it won't budge - an 8mm hardened-steel hex key bit and a foot-long breaker bar it what you need.

Thanks... I did think it was wrong, trying to unscrew the bolt in the same direction the pedals turn that appears to be held very well in position is proving to be very difficult :oops: I've tried the longer bar, obviously not trying hard enough!

I did think the cap looking thing that has the holes in the face may have been stopping it turning in some way but looks not.