SRAM cassette on Shimano freehub?

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to use my set of better wheels on a new bike. The new bike has an SRAM XG-1180 cassette and the wheels I want to use have a Shimano 9/10/11 hub.

Am I right in thinking the Sram cassette will not fit? If not, do I need to take apart the entire wheel, fit a new Sram hub and re-spoke?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Normally they are interchangevle' but if your 11 speed cassette needs an XD hub (smallest sprocket smaller than 11t) then it won't fit and as far as I'm aware Shimano don't make a freehub to take a SRAM specific part (funny that).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mattcee
    Mattcee Posts: 148
    Maybe I'm getting confused then if they should be interchangable.

I just noticed when I bought the wheels there was an option of either Shimano 9/10/11 hub or Sram-XD 11 speed only.

Is my SRAM XG-1180 cassette not XD then and should work just fine on the shimano hub?
  • The Rookie
    All you needed to know in the first post, but as you seemed to struggle.....as it is 10-42 and 10 is smaller than 11 it is XD and won't fit on a Shimano or Shimano compatible hub. Clearly if you could have had an XD freehub they are not Shimano hubs as you said but Shimano compatible.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    All you needed to know in the first post, but as you seemed to struggle.....as it is 10-42 and 10 is smaller than 11 it is XD and won't fit on a Shimano or Shimano compatible hub. Clearly if you could have had an XD freehub they are not Shimano hubs as you said but Shimano compatible.

Is there any reason for so much attitude? Yes the OP didn't grasp what you said but there's no need to be like that. You might be far rly knowledgeable but you are a complete c0ck at times.

For the OP, you've got an X1 cassette so you'll need a new hub, think i read in another tbread that you've got a set of LB rims on hope hubs (I could be wrong) so the xD hub is easy to come by, Marlin should have them and quite often do 10% off hope components.
  • The Rookie
    The attitude came as he didn't seem to have bothered making any effort AT ALL!
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    The attitude came as he didn't seem to have bothered making any effort AT ALL!

And there was me thinking its was because you are a bit or an arse!! :lol:
  • The Rookie
    No if I were that I'd give wrong advice or none at all, much like you.......
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    No if I were that I'd give wrong advice or none at all, much like you.......

I didn't need to give any advice as you had already done it.

My post was in response to your rude attention seeking post.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Am I right in thinking the Sram cassette will not fit? If not, do I need to take apart the entire wheel, fit a new Sram hub and re-spoke?

Your right it wont fit but you can get a Shimano 11 speed Cassette which would be cheaper than new hubs and spokes. The Shimano cassette will work with the SRAM chain.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap