When is a good time (in the season) to buy wheels?

Unamed2.0
Unamed2.0 Posts: 41
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Just curious if anyone knows if there are common "sale" periods for wheels (e.g January)? I'm in the market for a new pair and keen to buy, but I'll be keeping my old ones on for the winter so there's no real rush ... apart from that rush you get from buying nice new things for your bike.

Comments

• dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    When you need them...

Or when a good deal turns up. Tbh, there isn't really an end of season sale for wheels like there is with bikes/frames. Keep an eye out and buy when you spot a good deal, but it's the wrong time of year to be riding nice new blingy wheels now anyway so even if you spot a great offer, they'll be sat gathering dust till April.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    ^ wot he said. Just decide a budget and what kind of wheels you want and keep your eye on the web for any deals. Ribble are consistently cheapest for low end Shimano stuff; that's been the sum total of my wheel buying experience.

Merlin also look to have some competitively priced stuff, and Planet X own brand wheels are reasonable / occasionally in the sale.

And with the pound so strong vs the Euro at the mo, check out the German online retailers like Rose, Bike Discount DE etc
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As has been said, just keep your eye out for a good deal on the type of thing you will want.

Don't rule out buying front and rear separately.
    Be careful of wiggle offering fake percentage discounts on single wheels though.
    They often advertise single wheels with the percentage discount as if it were a wheelset (so it looks a much better offer than it is).

Don't rule out Campag (if you have Shimano), If the discount is bigger enough you can always swap the freehub.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Hi,

Just curious if anyone knows if there are common "sale" periods for wheels (e.g January)? I'm in the market for a new pair and keen to buy, but I'll be keeping my old ones on for the winter so there's no real rush ... apart from that rush you get from buying nice new things for your bike.

Which wheels are you after?
  • Thanks for the replies! Just what I was after.

I'm upgrading the stock wheels from my CAAD8 and budget won't take me much higher than Fulcrum 5s ... or perhaps the Quattros (or Sciroccos). £158 from Wiggle looks decent for the 5s though.