Wrong size (bigger)

Valder21
Valder21 Posts: 8
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
Yeap, seems I made the mistake!
Bought a 56cm Domane which seems too big for my 5'8" height, around 30" inseam (though doesn't feel too bad on the road, a bit of back pain (top left) after about 2 hours ride)
Any advice on how to get away with it (not changing frame size)?
Thanks

Comments

• Yeap, seems I made the mistake!
    Bought a 56cm Domane which seems too big for my 5'8" height, around 30" inseam (though doesn't feel too bad on the road, a bit of back pain (top left) after about 2 hours ride)
    Thanks

Can you physically stand over the frame, even if it pushes up on you a bit or you have to lean the bike slightly?

Have you changed the stem? What size is it now? That's always the first port of call.

But; how recent was your purchase, could you swap it for a smaller size?

Bike fit when you're riding is to do with the contact points, handlebars, pedals, saddle, the frame size only matters in so much as enabling those contact points to be in the correct place.
  • Yeap, seems I made the mistake!
    Thanks

Can you physically stand over the frame, even if it pushes up on you a bit or you have to lean the bike slightly?

Have you changed the stem? What size is it now? That's always the first port of call.

But; how recent was your purchase, could you swap it for a smaller size?

Bike fit when you're riding is to do with the contact points, handlebars, pedals, saddle, the frame size only matters in so much as enabling those contact points to be in the correct place.

So quick answers:

Physically standing over the frame is clear - no issue
    Stem is 100mm - have some room here to go for a 90mm I guess
    To move the saddle forward could be a good one ?
    Swapping the bike a bit difficult - more than 6 months.

The thing is that at some point I was riding a trek 1.5 54 cm that was feeling a bit on the small size but maybe I was wrong
  • Physically standing over the frame is clear - no issue

Good start, it can possibly be made to fit you then.
    Stem is 100mm - have some room here to go for a 90mm I guess

Indeed, it can take some experimentation to get it right. It depends on how far away the bars are currently. This will give you a good idea on what to go for http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx
    To move the saddle forward could be a good one ?

Not usually no. The rules are generally that you get the saddle height and forward / rear position correct first and lock that off and *then* look at the position of the bars.
    The thing is that at some point I was riding a trek 1.5 54 cm that was feeling a bit on the small size but maybe I was wrong

Depends, were you running a lot of seatpost and a long stem with the 1.5? Also there's nothing to say a 1.5 and a Domane will have the same geometry, in fact they probably don't.
  • To big , I am 5 ft 11 inch and ride 54 .
    I bought a Lappiere Xelius 2nd hand fantastic bike , but to big , tried the shorter stem seat forward route but after a longish ride my back was screaming .
    I had to admit defeat and sold it .
    54 max for you me thinks.
    regards
    ILG
  • Seems I am way off, aren't I! Strangely though, my stance on the bike doesn't look bad!
  • I know you're going to baulk at the expense, but a bike fit might be an idea, quite often you can get a basic fit done for about £50. But when you consider the price of a new stem is £40 a go then it's worth spending £50 to get the bike fitted to you properly, it'll take the guesswork out of it all. Plus if the frame really is too big for you; you'll find that out too.
  • I know you're going to baulk at the expense, but a bike fit might be an idea, quite often you can get a basic fit done for about £50. But when you consider the price of a new stem is £40 a go then it's worth spending £50 to get the bike fitted to you properly, it'll take the guesswork out of it all. Plus if the frame really is too big for you; you'll find that out too.

more concerned about the switching frames costs here!! so worth a try (at least seems there is hope :))
    I ll go for some 54cm test rides as well

more concerned about the switching frames costs here!! so worth a try (at least seems there is hope :))
    I ll go for some 54cm test rides as well

Well quite, at least a bike fitter will be able to tell you for definite if your bike can be adapted to you or not, in the long run it's the cheapest option, even if you do have to get a new frame you can then go straight to that rather than spending on adapting your existing frame.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I'd definitely recommend a good bike fit to see if things like flipping and / or replacing the stem will help.

Peter
  • Olas
    Olas Posts: 54
    One of my bikes is a 2009 Trek Madone 4.7, I was recommended at 60 cm and am 186cm (6.1ish). I thought it was too big, in the end was a little too stretched out.
    Changed the 110mm stem for 90mm and slammed the stem. Perfect fit.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Why do people insist on bike fits? why can't people work things out for themselves? wish i had your money to throw away! :evil:

Forget the expense of a bike fit.

Get a cheap shorter stem e.g. 80mm, (dont bother with 90mm initially)
    Move your saddle forward.
    Tweak things yourself.

Put some miles in to get fit and used to riding it.

Try things out yourself, why pay someone to tell you what you can work out for yourself, its not rocket science folks, its a bike!
  • Why do people insist on bike fits? why can't people work things out for themselves? wish i had your money to throw away! :evil:

Forget the expense of a bike fit.

Get a cheap shorter stem e.g. 80mm, (dont bother with 90mm initially)
    Move your saddle forward.
    Tweak things yourself.

Put some miles in to get fit and used to riding it.

Try things out yourself, why pay someone to tell you what you can work out for yourself, its not rocket science folks, its a bike!

yeah ok, worth getting some opinions though! and also if worth the tries! will do some though
  • My point was that a new stem is £40. If that's wrong then getting another one is going to be about the same cost as a bike fit and stem.
  • My point was that a new stem is £40. If that's wrong then getting another one is going to be about the same cost as a bike fit and stem.

Don't know where you're getting stems from at £40 a pop but they can be bought much cheaper. Deda stems on Wiggle from £12 or so.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Easiest option without compromising the front end is changing the seat post mast that Trek put on the Domane - I think they do versions of set back with one almost inline from 20mm to 5mm. You could in theory get 1.5cm more reach, just as long as you don't compromise pedal stroke. The other option is a shorter stem, perhaps even both. A lot of short legged riders are generally longer in the torso and could benefit from inline set up over the BB. Hope this helps !

http://store.trekbikes.com/product/trek+round+seat+cap.do
  • I repeat , I have been down the bike to big route , cut your losses , sell the bike and buy one that fits ,
    To long a reach plays havoc with your back. you are putting pressure though the pedals in a stretched position , the facet joints in the disc / vertebra complex in you back disengage causing you disc to take all the pressure , in the end resulting in disc compression this creates an unstable environment within the disc eventually leading to a disc bulge and back pain extraordinaire.
    It can happen if a bike fits correctly of course, due to the exaggerated "C" position the back assumes over long rides , but you stand a better chance if you do not over stretch.
    regards
    ILG
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Yeap, seems I made the mistake!
    Thanks

The Domane 56cm has a tt of 55.4 so not a true 56 and though you are on the short side of the trek sizing chart, your not off it either and do you know your saddle is correct fore and aft? and the reach is short too as it has a slack HT angle.
    your back pain could be anything, stem too low, saddle ht too high/low or reach and you also say your previous 54 felt too small?
    Play around with what you ve got, stem and height first and make sure saddle ht is correct, google it, if your not sure.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think at 5ft 8" you're on the wrong size, even on 54cm some 5ft 8" people would find the 54cm too high at the front end taking into account the quite tall headtube and the 'deeper than most' BB drop of the Domane. On a 56cm I'd be surprised if you can make it fit, unless you're old and want a 'sat up' position and are prepared to run a stem that's very short for the frame size.

If you don't want to get a bike fit, don't you have any experienced cycling friends that can affirm if nothing practical can be done to get you forced onto it reasonably? (I'd bet they would find it too big for you though).

I'd get rid of it, and I wouldn't buy a 54cm of it either unless you know that fits you well as it might well not (some bikes don't fit some people well regardless of the size you buy).
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "unless you're old and want a 'sat up' position and are prepared to run a stem that's very short for the frame size"

That's me and what I did when I bought my CR1; I'm 5'6" but with longer legs / shorter torso. So I bought the 54 frameset and fitted an 80mm stem with compact bars. There's still some seat post showing but the saddle to bar drop is modest, and it's very comfortable for me. I've got my knee over the pedal spindle without having to resort to an inline seatpost.
  • "unless you're old and want a 'sat up' position and are prepared to run a stem that's very short for the frame size"

That's me and what I did when I bought my CR1; I'm 5'6" but with longer legs / shorter torso. So I bought the 54 frameset and fitted an 80mm stem with compact bars. There's still some seat post showing but the saddle to bar drop is modest, and it's very comfortable for me. I've got my knee over the pedal spindle without having to resort to an inline seatpost.

That's surprising because I'm 5'6" and I have a CR1 in 52cm, even then I've got a 70mm stem even then things are still a little on the large side for me.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "unless you're old and want a 'sat up' position and are prepared to run a stem that's very short for the frame size"

That's surprising because I'm 5'6" and I have a CR1 in 52cm, even then I've got a 70mm stem even then things are still a little on the large side for me.

It is odd; my winter bike is a Racelight Tk which was famed for having a relatively long top tube. Epic Cycles who supplied / assembled / fitted it initially thought I'd need a 54 but sitting on one the reach felt too great; ended up ordering in the 51 which then meant the saddle to bar drop was greater, and needed the stem flipping upwards. On the Scott with less seat post and the stem horizontal I have been able to get all the contact points in the same place.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Before you buy anything, flip the stem and move the seat forward slightly. Ride the bike for a bit and see how you get on.
  • Ok guys thanks a lot for the replies ... bit of controversy though, seems this bike fitting gets some debate. So this is what I did:
    - Played with the saddle position - found smthng like a sweet spot which was almost 1cm forward than the initial position
    - Moved the handlebars all way up (they were one ring down)
    - Ordered a second hand 90mm stem (same model that the domane wears) - plan to use it asap
    - Had an evanscycles guy to look at my stance just for a second opinion - said I look good

Also a more precise measurement brings me in bewtween 5'8" and 5'9".
    So plan to write some miles on different positions but feel more confident that I am on a good size (and hopefully get rid of that back pain!)
  • OK failed - convinced that frame is too big (bike fit and test rides with 54)! sh***t!!!
    thanks for the posts guys, appreciated
  • **EDITED**

I ride a Trek which is a 56cm frame with 100mm stem. I'm 5'11 with 32" inseam. I've just had a bike fit.

My 2p's worth is you could probably fit both a 54 & 56cm frame but a 54 would be more appropriate for your height.

The only way to know is to get a fit done.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,878

I think it's all very variable though isn't it - height aside, peoples flexibility comes into the comfort factor majorly.

For example our household has two CR1's, I am 5ft 10, but have a 34" inseam, and consequently a shortish reach, and ride a 54.
    My gf is 5ft 7, but has fairly even inside leg versus upper body length, she rides a 52.
    We both have 90mm stems, and 20/25mm setback seatposts, and both find them very comfy - both stems are flipped up - but on my bike, I still have a very healthy drop from saddle to bars.
    She likes hers more upright, so works perfectly.

Having said that, this year as I have covered a lot of miles (for me - 4000 and counting) I have found my body has acclimatised to the riding position more, and though I started out with an inline seatpost, I have since moved to a setback one, as my body clearly got more used to the position.
    I have also found, through stretching regularly, that I can easily tell my flexibility (hamstrings I assume) has increased a lot, purely by how far I can stretch versus the old situation.

I am even thinking of next spring flipping the stem to a downards slant to see how that goes - as you can imagine though I have a LOT of seatpost showing, so it would be pretty severe.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18