tabanid thursday

Flâneur
Flâneur Posts: 3,081
edited October 2015 in The bottom bracket
Sun is shining, a lot to catch up, need coffee, may have a scotch, may even change my name on here
Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
Crudder
CX
Toy

Comments

• Half way between crisp and moist outside today, Croist?

Anyway, did some weights this morning, salad and grilled chicken for lunch and nothing nice to drink tonight. WTF have I become? A roadie?

*shudders*
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • I'm ready for bed already. Seriously exhausted today, and my head feels like it is falling apart. My backside has also been in full use today. Spoke to my manager and can't go home.

Think i'll hide in the back room and take a nap.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    Morning folks,
    Traditional Thursday mild hangover added to being tired after a long day yesterday means I feel below my best. Looking forward to riding my bike home rather than sitting in any more traffic. Lots of work to catch up on that others haven't done in my absence, very dull.
    This time next week I'll be en-route to Lake Como for a quiet break with the Mrs, really looking forward to that. Any tips on where to go HD? We'll be using public transport so mainly ferries across the lake from our base in Bellagio.
  • Morning folks,
    Traditional Thursday mild hangover added to being tired after a long day yesterday means I feel below my best. Looking forward to riding my bike home rather than sitting in any more traffic. Lots of work to catch up on that others haven't done in my absence, very dull.
    This time next week I'll be en-route to Lake Como for a quiet break with the Mrs, really looking forward to that. Any tips on where to go HD? We'll be using public transport so mainly ferries across the lake from our base in Bellagio.

I love Lake Como. It has been so long since i've been there, but we used to go yearly for most of my childhood. Quite possibly one my most favourite place on earth.
  • You're in the middle of the main triangle of the lake, Menaggio, Varenna and Bellagio so ferries between the three will be regular, perhaps every 20 minutes or so.

Top tip, if you eat on the front it's more expensive obviously. A few streets back and it becomes reasonable.

If you can find wine in a supermarket from Neno Negri take a bottle back to your room. It's expensive @ 10-15e but well worth it.

Varenna is ok, but not very big. Menaggio is where we are and it's nice to walk around but being typically Italian it isn't full of tourist areas. The main square is nice for chilling if not a little expensive. To get there get off the ferry and walk to the main road, turn right and walk along the lake front. Cafe Del Pess is ok and the owner is a nice guy with white hair, speaks fluent English.

Any of the ice cream parlours on the opposite side of the square are worth a visit - Try the Limoncino if you like Sorbet.

Cocktails are exensive there but if Mrs V68 fancies one and it's warm carry on with the lake on your right until you get to a narrowing of the road, tables on your right and drinks drop to around 5e from 7 or 8 in the square.

For an ultra posh lunch the Darsana just outside of Tremezzo is a good shout - Its about here - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/45%C2%B058'56.2%22N+9%C2%B013'22.4%22E/@45.982275,9.22289,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0 and if you get the ferry over to Cadenabbia from Bellagio and walk to your left for a few hundred yards it's there - Take lots of cash.

Como Town on a Saturday has a large street market, good for wandering about. You should be able to get the fast ferry there from Belaggio, not sure on the times though but it takes an hour or so.

It's also good for general womans shopping, posh shops etc.

For an excellent fish lunch in Bellagio walk through the Melze Gardens (go to the ferry terminal in Bellagio and turn left and follow the lake front, its 5e to get in) go out the other side, walk past a harbour and up some steps between some tall conifers and find Albergo Ristorante Silvio. Its excellent, white table service and amazing views over the lake. You can get a little road train back into the village as it stops outside - no idea on the cost of that though.

Lake Como isn't really a tourist area - although it does got a lot, its mainly sight seeing etc so if you're there for that sort of thing it's ideal.

How long are you there for? If you give me an idea of what you are looking for I'll rack my brains... It won't take long.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    How long are you there for? If you give me an idea of what you are looking for I'll rack my brains... It won't take long.
    Thanks, that's exactly the sort of information we need.
    We are there from Thursday next week until Monday, so 3 full days with a day of leisurely travelling at either end. The plan is just to mooch around and take in the views as much as anything, with obvious refreshment breaks when necessary. I speak good Italian so tend to avoid the obvious tourist traps when possible. She is not as active as I am so we will do a bit of walking, but not too strenuous I suspect. I'd like to get up into the hills a bit if possible.
  • However...

39fdcc593ea048e044e0d2c205d4de48.jpg
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • If it's hills then Madonna del Ghisallo is out of Bellagio, but as climbs go its bad so I'm not sure a walk is going to be the best idea.

In Varenna you have the Vezio Castle which has amazing views and is a hike and a bit. Easy to find, as you can see it from Bellagio and it's signposted from the centre of Varenna. There is a small cafe there and in Vezio itself there is a tiny cafe, possibly open but being Italian, possibly not.

I do know of a good walk down hill through the forest but not sure how well placed to it you will be (or the logistics of getting to the village other than by bus), there is a funicular just outside of Argegno, about 2-300 meters which takes you up the side of the mountain for a few euros athen you can walk down. Lunch in Argegno can be OK however looking into the square at the waterfall avoid the restaurant to your right, overpriced and very minimal portions of pasta - pizzas are excellent though.

Another hill walk would be from Como itself, again there is a funicular up the hill to a small village. Stunning views again.

I'm yet to go there myself but the only island on the lake, Comacina, has a small tour around the island followed by a lunch. We've never been because the little feller isn't keen on fish and being an island guess what the speciality is???

The fast ferry from Como docks there but I'm not sure how you'd get back.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • p.s, if you can find where this was taken I'll tell you where the keys are and you can help yourself to a bottle of Prosecco!

ItalyAugust2009189.jpg
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    Excellent, all good stuff. The Mrs could probably sniff out the prosecco, it works like catnip on womenfolk. Views like that are why we are going. I know the weather can go either way at this time of year so we will have to take some warmer options.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,420
    p.s, if you can find where this was taken I'll tell you where the keys are and you can help yourself to a bottle of Prosecco!

ItalyAugust2009189.jpg
    You have you're own place over looking lake Como? :(:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Happy for you, I'm just sad for myself.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Wooo, day off work tomorrow and off to Chester Zoo!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Af'noon noork supports

Worm me meh. Supposed to be a week off :roll:

TT tonight. The wonderful, lazy, talkative, overweight, disruptive pita is coming tonight. Only 15 and needs to be wired to the mains. Why does he bother coming? How can I politely get rid of him?

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Punch his face, in the face!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,873
    Pub last night meant cycling into work, nice to see the sunrise and sunset

Good day at work, just had some food and now meant to be looking for houses - bored of it already
  • pinno
    Sun is shining, a lot to catch up, need coffee, may have a scotch, may even change my name on here

There has been absolutely no mention of bloodsuckers on this thread whatsoever - none, nada, diddley squat, sweet FA.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Evening Roadies,

A few van related thrills and spills were had in Wales today although I'm still in one piece, just :) Pity about work tomorrow but hey its Friday.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Wooo, day off work tomorrow and off to Chester Zoo!

Same as me, well bar the being off work & going to the zoo, I'm in Chester though!
  • Flâneur
    Should we go to Telfords at lunch and drink cider
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • pinno
    Should we go to Telfords at lunch and drink cider

...and you think you're going to keep up with TLW in the first instance and in the second - after he has had almost 5 days of abstinence!? :roll:
  • Flâneur
    I have no inclination of going drink for drink, watching him fall into the canal would be worth the bar tab though
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • tlw1
    Been in that stretch of water before :)
  • pinno
    Take your camera with you sae15w40.