upgrading from Specialized Allez Sport

4768adrian
4768adrian Posts: 25
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello all. I am currently using a 3 year old Allez sport and going out a couple of times a week, usually riding between 30/40 miles. I am looking at upgrading to the next level up and will have £1000 to spend through Cyclescheme. What are peoples thoughts on Specialized Roubaix's, and which version. I'm open to other makes or models, just been looking at Specialized as had no probs with current bike. I'm 6 ft and a solid 100kg if this has any bearing on advice.

Also, I know the Roubaix is a couple hundred £ over the budget, but does anybody have any idea if LBS would allow me to pay the extra in cash.

Cheers in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Just buy the Roubaix frameset and handlebars, then transfer all the other elements across from the Allez.

The Specialized OEM stock wheels and brakes are average, so look to upgrade these to something better.

LBS should be able to accommodate you in this regard.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    Technically you're not supposed to use over the £1000 according to the scheme although some shops let you.

Most LBS shops don't like using the vouchers anyway as they basically loose their cut from what I've read.

As for an upgrade what do you want to achieve from it? I do around 100-150 miles a week on my Specialized Allez Sport 2013 and my main upgrade has been a carbon seat post and Mavic Askium wheels which I've found an excellent upgrade.

For around the £1000 mark you're looking at entry level carbon with Tiagra level gears from what I've read or a better alloy bike with maybe 105 gearing.

This got a good review for a carbon bike:
    http://road.cc/content/review/166297-norco-valence-tiagra

And for non carbon you can get a lot more for your money:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hoy/sa-calobra-004-11-speed-2015-road-bike-ec059960 (I know stock is low but the point is whats on offer)

I would suggest that you consider what you want out of the bike, these days theres a split between road bikes (race or endurance) and gravel bikes. Basically its about how low you drop in your riding position and how much clearance you have for bigger tyres. And then of course do you want disc breaks?

So:
    Tyres = fat or skinny
    Riding Position = comfortable or aggressive
    Disc breaks = Yes or no
    Mudguards and rack? = Both/one/none

(The roubaix would be skinny, comfortable, either, not sure)

Also:
    Deadeyedjacks, the frameset is only sold in the top spec so is £2400.
    https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specialized_sworks_roubaix_sl4_2015_road_bike_frameset-ID_64486
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • I've upgraded the wheels already on my Allez, and would move them to a new bike if I got one. The main thing is its quite hilly where I go out riding, and as I only have 16 gears I tend to have to work harder up hills than my mates. No problems on the flat. Would like a couple of extra gears. I tend to ride mostly on my hoods aswell so a comfy riding position over a more racy one is ideal.
  • bomster
    bomster Posts: 202
    If you're happy with the position/geometry/fit of the Allez then the Roubaix might not be the best choice, as it's very different in that regard.

If you want to keep the geometry the same look at the Tarmac (if you're wanting to stay with Specialized that is).
  • I'm happy with my Allez in terms of comfort but I constantly need something better/shinier.

I had a quick go on my mates S Works SL3 last weekend and fit wise it felt spot on, just as my Allez does but the difference in "feel" was massive.

Hence me thinking I'll go Specialized again because...
    Specialized is for people who need something to follow since Jim Jones drank the the rest of the punch.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • But what I want is so damn expensive...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • just been looking at Orro bikes. The bike shop I will be going to also sells them, and I wondered if anybody has any views on them, or if they are a viable alternative. Just trying to get an idea before I go over there.