Help - Out of my depth!

LukeyC
LukeyC Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Workshop
Hi everyone - I hope you can help, I'll try and keep this brief.

I have an old Carerra TDF I use as my heavy / winter training bike. Frame / forks are fine, but the whole groupset was pretty knackerd. I basically stripped everything off it, and replaced everything with 5700 105 kit, however I've run into a couple of issues:

Issue 1: Bottom bracket
It's a square taper BB, that I replaced with the correct size Shimano BB-UN55 (I bought a 113mm and 118mm because forums suggested it could be either). At the time I ordered I didn't know about the two different types of fixing (JIS / ISO), but it turns out they are both JIS.

I bought a FSA Vero Compact Crankset http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/fsa-vero-compact-chainset/rp-prod78792, that is definately JIS, but when I've mounted it on the bottom bracket it sits really far away from the frame, so much so that I've barely got the adjustment on the front derailier to reach the big ring.

https://flic.kr/p/yAzDmm Picture of what I mean 1
https://flic.kr/p/zxByXt The Bottom Bracket
https://flic.kr/p/zvicL9 The Crankset

It looks as though the spindles on the BB are too large (ie the wrong type), but they are both JIS. Or do I need to order a different BB with shorter length from end-to-end? I'm using the 113mm in the photos and I've also noticed the BB wobbles about a little, almost like they do when the bearings are shot.

Issue 2: 10 speed hub?

My bike came with 8 speed, but my 105 is the 5700 (10 speed). The new 105 cassette fits on to the hub, but the cogs sort of rattle about a bit when I ride - I assume I need to change the hub for a 10 speed.

Question: Do I need to change the entire rear hub (ie, something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-105-5800-rear-hub/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360654344&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360654344uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=sp5Wu4Yni_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090789262%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360654344uk&gclid=CjwKEAjwhdOwBRDFsYTfhvzX1hYSJAAfCUcLAIGrHnPRNToVXOtMzxb006eFOtMJWsY7dzqMBPRYARoC9ILw_wcB) or can I just buy something like this to screw into the existing freehub http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/105-5700-10-speed-freehub-body-ec051548?country=GB&currency=GBP&esvt=1502-GOUKE324596&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-35300-1&esvcrea=61235636936&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvaid=50080&gclid=CjwKEAjwhdOwBRDFsYTfhvzX1hYSJAAfCUcLecdqcYmb-rHuqVMq2HA-q560NkceBCEFAENawKR3DBoCajzw_wcB

Also, will the 10 speed hub stick out more, so will I have to get the wheel shape altered at all?

Thanks in advance for any advice you give. :)

Happy Riding,

Luke.

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    General web consensus seems to be that it's a 113mm BB. Are you sure you've torqued the BB down properly (it looks to me like it's not fully seated in the frame) and similarly that you've sufficiently torqued the cranks onto the spindle?
  • LukeyC
    Hi 964Cup,

You're probably right about the BB fitment - I don't quite have the right tool so its very difficult to get it super tight, but I'm 100% certain the crank is torqued as much as I can against the spindle, because I used the little screw caps and did these up as much as I could, thinking this would force the crank onto te spindle more. It did a little but, but still nowhere near as much as I thought.

Is it possible the FSA crankset is the wrong "type", and that I actually need a different one?
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    The crankset should be OK. You're probably best off going to your LBS, where they'll have the right tools. Take the old BB with you as well as the new one, so they can check you have the right replacement.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Or you could stick the square taper stuff on Ebay and get a 105 Hollowtech II crankset and BB?

Re your cassette; Shimano 10 speed cassettes (apart from Tiagra) need a 1mm spacer on the freehub before the cassette. One should have come with your new cassette?
  • Regarding the BB you should be using a 103mm bb length - if you look at the Q&A's on the chain reaction listing they quote this. You also need the correct tool to fit the bottom bracket, and I would think that the bb threads would need chasing a little deeper if you previously had a bb with a lock ring -as they don't sit as deep in the bottom bracket threads. As others have said you are best to have the bb fitted professionally if you dont have the correct tools.

You don't state what wheels you are trying to fit the cassette on - if its the standard carrera wheels I doubt if a 10 speed cassette will fit properly, as the 8 speed freehub body is unlikely to be long enough. Don't bother trying to change anything just buy new wheels such as the shimano r501s which are great value for money and can be had for around £60 a pair if you buy at the right time.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    [quote=
    You don't state what wheels you are trying to fit the cassette on - if its the standard carrera wheels I doubt if a 10 speed cassette will fit properly, as the 8 speed freehub body is unlikely to be long enough. Don't bother trying to change anything just buy new wheels such as the shimano r501s which are great value for money and can be had for around £60 a pair if you buy at the right time.[/quote]

If the freehub took a Shimano 8 speed cassette then a 10 speed one will also fit. In fact the 10 speed ones are slightly narrower, hence the spacer.

I regularly swap 9 and 10 speed cassettes on Shimano freehubs; all you have to remember is the spacer.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Issue 1: I've used a FSA Vero Compact for years on my winterbike with 107 mm Shimano BB, fitted perfectly.
    113 or 118 seems way too long.
  • Considering how difficult it is to fit a new hub, i.e. requiring complete wheel rebuild
    it's most certainly easier to simply purchase another wheel or use the above solution
    10: 20.36
    25: 55.03
    50: 1.54.22
    100: 3.55.11
    24 hour: 397 miles
  • borisface
    borisface Posts: 273
    The phrase you can't polish a turd springs to mind.
  • LukeyC
    The phrase you can't polish a turd springs to mind.

Ha ha very good point Borisface.

I did briefly consider buying a whole new bike, but I'd only end up with very similar (ie cheap) low level components, which wouldn't really improve things much.

As stupid as it sounds, I bought the bike for £100 on ebay a few years ago when I first started triathlon. It's been a faithful early race bike and now winter training bike to me and brought me up to 70.3 distance racing, so I kind of wanted to keep it and treat "her" to an upgrade.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact my missus can spot a new bike, but can't tell the difference between groupsets... :roll: :lol: