Planet X XLS & Mudguards

deffler
deffler Posts: 829
edited October 2015 in Commuting chat
Bought a XLS back in May, as a complete novice when going through checkout I added the optional mudguards which were these

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSGBSLFS/gilles-berthoud-stainless-fender-set

Took them to my LBS yesterday as the winter preparations begin to be told the rear will not fit without a lot of bodging as there's nowhere to attach.

spoke to Planet-X who basically say yes a lot of bodging is required - bending & cable ties etc.

I'm pretty annoyed as the guards were sold as an optional extra with no mention of bodging required, I'm awaiting Planet X coming back to me as my reply was "I'm not happy to accept a bodge".

I'm wondering if anyone has had the same problem and have you managed to successfully fit these guards? OR what guards are people successfully using on the XLS?
Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS

Comments

• On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    bin the mudguards, they look daft anyway
  • deffler
    bin the mudguards, they look daft anyway

true, however in the depths of a northeast winter i'm not really bothered what they look like
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler
    update

Planet X have confirmed "the bodge" is an "industry standard" when attaching mudguards to a CX bike :roll:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    update

Planet X have confirmed "the bodge" is an "industry standard" when attaching mudguards to a CX bike :roll:
    I think the response is a Planet X standard.
    In my limited and entirely anecdotal experience they make good bikes at good prices. And if anything goes wrong or you're not entirely satisfied then they're a bunch of arses to deal with.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    You could use raceblades or the crud catcher guard thingums but yes, a racey CX bike (which is how PX sell the XLS) wouldnt usually come with mudguard mounts.

Alternatively, just do what us Europeans do and not bother with them...

(not so good for commuting though)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • I'm absolutely sure I wouldn't be bodging heavy stainless steel mudguards to a carbon frame. Wherever you'd attached them would be sure to get badly rubbed on every bump.
  • deffler
    I'm absolutely sure I wouldn't be bodging heavy stainless steel mudguards to a carbon frame. Wherever you'd attached them would be sure to get badly rubbed on every bump.

exactly mate
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler
    update

I think the response is a Planet X standard.
    In my limited and entirely anecdotal experience they make good bikes at good prices. And if anything goes wrong or you're not entirely satisfied then they're a bunch of arses to deal with.

yeah that seems to be the general opinion of "the internet"
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Use raceblades; heli-tape the seatstays and forks before fitting the guards or you will get rubbing damage.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    edited October 2015
    a racey CX bike (which is how PX sell the XLS) wouldnt usually come with mudguard mounts.
    Exactly, the vast majority of CX race bikes won't have mudguard/rack mounts.

The thought of adding/removing mudguards every weekend for the entire race season was too much for me, so whilst I race on XLSs I bought a Kinesis Pro6 (same geometry) for commuting.

Edit: I sometimes use an ass-saver for wet training rides; tends to get dislodged when you shoulder the bike, but it's better than nothing.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    my comment was slightly tongue in cheek, but if you buy a race ready CX bike you can't really expect for there to be a proper method of fitting guards. In the same breath PX shouldn't suggest it as an option. Welcome to the wet backside club.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I think the reason the OP is pee'd off is that Planet X advertised these as an optional extra, knowing full well they'd need bodging to fit. It should be safe to assume that they'd fit no bother if offered in the way they were.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    a racey CX bike (which is how PX sell the XLS) wouldnt usually come with mudguard mounts.
    Exactly, the vast majority of CX race bikes won't have mudguard/rack mounts.

The thought of adding/removing mudguards every weekend for the entire race season was too much for me, so whilst I race on XLSs I bought a Kinesis Pro6 (same geometry) for commuting.

Edit: I sometimes use an ass-saver for wet training rides; tends to get dislodged when you shoulder the bike, but it's better than nothing.
    Ooh, you own an XLS and a Crosslight Pro6? I've got a pro 6 but had often contemplated the XLS before seeing the crosslight for too good a deal to miss - how do they compare?

Doing the research there seemed to be very little in it weight-wise.
  • tgotb
    Ooh, you own an XLS and a Crosslight Pro6? I've got a pro 6 but had often contemplated the XLS before seeing the crosslight for too good a deal to miss - how do they compare?

Doing the research there seemed to be very little in it weight-wise.
    Ha ha! I actually have two XLSs (race bikes) and a Pro6 (commuter). Handling is pretty similar, as you'd expect, though they're normally set up very differently so it's not a perfect comparison.
    The XLS *feels* stiffer (though this could be psychological)
    Internal cable routing through the XLS top tube is a bit tidier
    XLS mech hanger is a bit flimsier (whether that's a good thing probably depends how you use the bike)
    Large frame tubes on the XLS make it a bit easier (for me) to pick up, more comfortable to shoulder etc. The flattened top tube on the Pro6 seems to be a bit less comfortable than the larger diameter round one on the XLS, especially with the Pro6's external cables.
    Pro6 obviously has mounting points for rack and mudguards, which is why I bought it.
    Weight, as you observed, is about the same. They both take a standard threaded bottom bracket, and the same headset.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • deffler
    I think the reason the OP is pee'd off is that Planet X advertised these as an optional extra, knowing full well they'd need bodging to fit. It should be safe to assume that they'd fit no bother if offered in the way they were.

nail hit, on the head.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler
    Use raceblades; heli-tape the seatstays and forks before fitting the guards or you will get rubbing damage.

thankyou
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • When the OP says optional extra. Was it within the specification list? Or in a separate pop up, have you also considered list? Neither is great but the latter is, perhaps, a bit easier to understand.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • tgotb
    When the OP says optional extra. Was it within the specification list? Or in a separate pop up, have you also considered list? Neither is great but the latter is, perhaps, a bit easier to understand.
    Indeed. If (as I have) you bought a frameset and got a pop-up offering you a very good price on some socks and a woolly hat, would you then complain that you couldn't use the hat at the same time as the frameset because it didn't fit under your helmet?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dinyull
    When the OP says optional extra. Was it within the specification list? Or in a separate pop up, have you also considered list? Neither is great but the latter is, perhaps, a bit easier to understand.
    Indeed. If (as I have) you bought a frameset and got a pop-up offering you a very good price on some socks and a woolly hat, would you then complain that you couldn't use the hat at the same time as the frameset because it didn't fit under your helmet?

Congrats on the worst, most pointless comparison on the internet. Chapeau.
  • When the OP says optional extra. Was it within the specification list? Or in a separate pop up, have you also considered list? Neither is great but the latter is, perhaps, a bit easier to understand.

It's not really. Whenever you buy PX stuff you get a random pop up. Perhaps, if this was one of those, it's easier to explain. Would Sir also like some mudguards?

FWIW, I just put an RT90 disc in my basket and pressed checkout. It offered me a £2.99 mini pump. Perhaps that's today's deal of the day? I got socks when I bought some tyres last week.

So, the question is, was this in the actual spec, or just a random pop up on checkout?
  • tgotb

It's not really. Whenever you buy PX stuff you get a random pop up. Perhaps, if this was one of those, it's easier to explain. Would Sir also like some mudguards?

FWIW, I just put an RT90 disc in my basket and pressed checkout. It offered me a £2.99 mini pump. Perhaps that's today's deal of the day? I got socks when I bought some tyres last week.

So, the question is, was this in the actual spec, or just a random pop up on checkout?
    Quite. @Dinyull - exactly what did your post contribute to the discussion?

I just went to the PX site and test-ordered one of these bikes. Aswell as various customisations (but no mudguards) it also offered me a selection of helmets (which are pretty non-bike-specific) and road shoes (which would be pretty useless on a CX bike). I then went to the checkout, and it offered me the same mini pump.

Even if I'd bought the shoes, which were offered up as part of the bike "item", I don't think I could reasonably expect to be able to stick them in a cupboard for 5 months and then claim a refund...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dinyull
    But if your not used to how Planet X operate (they can come across a bit underhand) and a newbie to cycling then it would be easy to assume that they'd fit the bike. If you were asking if sir would like some mudguards you wouldn't (and really shouldn't) offer him some that don't fit his bike.

It's like buying some wheels and a pop up offering tyres that wouldn't fit the wheels you were buying. If they were a stonking deal most wouldn't check the size and assume they'd fit.

By the way, my worst comparison comment was aimed at TGOTB.

The bit about 5 months in the cupboard.... 5 months ago was the beginning of summer when mudguards are coming off most bikes. It's fair to assume you'd only realise they didn't fit when you actually come to fit them.

The OP has made a genuine mistake, but then Planet X haven't covered themselves in glory. They're probably gonna lose his custom over a set of mudguards.
  • dinyull

I just went to the PX site and test-ordered one of these bikes. Aswell as various customisations (but no mudguards) it also offered me a selection of helmets (which are pretty non-bike-specific) and road shoes (which would be pretty useless on a CX bike). I then went to the checkout, and it offered me the same mini pump.

Just because this is what they do doesn't make it right, you know.
  • But if your not used to how Planet X operate (they can come across a bit underhand) and a newbie to cycling then it would be easy to assume that they'd fit the bike. If you were asking if sir would like some mudguards you wouldn't (and really shouldn't) offer him some that don't fit his bike.

That's not the point I was making with "Would Sir like some mudguards?"

Think of it as "something for the weekend" when getting a haircut.

Point is they do pop ups. Sometimes it's related to the purchase, sometimes not. More luck than judgement. Perhaps he was unlucky and mudguards popped up that day. If he could demonstrate that mudguards were part of the package that won't in fact fit he could get a refund on the guards, definitely. Possibly the bike as well. Though I think too much time has passed.
  • tgotb

Anyone who struggles with this would be well advised to avoid all ecommerce sites, just to be on the safe side.

Here's another example:
    I just ordered a bluetooth keyboard from Maplin, and was offered the opportunity to purchase a USB flash drive. Is that flash drive compatible with the keyboard? Seems unlikely.

Every time I shop in Sainsburys I'm given money off vouchers for products that don't go with the ones I've just bought. My telephone company are constantly trying to sell me TV coverage for sports I'm not interested in, and my mobile phone company try (often successfully) to get me to buy sandwiches every Monday lunchtime. C'mon guys, it's the 21st century, this is how most large retailers operate; where have you been for the last 10 years?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dinyull
    I see your point, and think the OP has been unlucky re. what pop up or deal has appeared when he bought the bike.

Just think Planet X should offer to refund the guards or offer a replacement that will work instead of giving him bodge job options.
  • tgotb
    Think of it as "something for the weekend" when getting a haircut.
    That's different. Back in my yoof, my only reason for getting a haircut was the hope it might increase my chances of needing "something for the weekend".

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, your analogy is spot on; the two purchases were entirely unconnected :roll:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • dinyull

Anyone who struggles with this would be well advised to avoid all ecommerce sites, just to be on the safe side.

Here's another example:
    I just ordered a bluetooth keyboard from Maplin, and was offered the opportunity to purchase a USB flash drive. Is that flash drive compatible with the keyboard? Seems unlikely.

Every time I shop in Sainsburys I'm given money off vouchers for products that don't go with the ones I've just bought. My telephone company are constantly trying to sell me TV coverage for sports I'm not interested in, and my mobile phone company try (often successfully) to get me to buy sandwiches every Monday lunchtime. C'mon guys, it's the 21st century, this is how most large retailers operate; where have you been for the last 10 years?

Except most other "21st century commerce sites" are smart enough, or more likely programmed to offer things specific to what you've bought. Just like wiggle, CRC, Merlin, Sigma for eg.
  • deffler

it was within the specification list
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler
    update - planet x have accepted the guards back after 5 month and have agreed I can have store credit which I'm happy to accept.

seems this has caused quite the discussion so I would like to clarify the mudguards were an option within the specification and not a pop up after sale. as they were within the specification options I find it reasonable to expect these to fit correctly.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS