Thoughts on Giants move to Fox 32 Float Performance 2016

odessouky
odessouky Posts: 264
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
It seems that avian have moved from the Rockshox Reba and Monarch RL on their 27.5 2 Anthem to the Fox 32 Float Performance and Fox float rear for the 2016 line up.
I am looking at the Anthem 27.5 2, and have the option of getting the 2015 with the Reba or the 2016 with the Fox Float 32 performance for a similar price.
I tried reba before, and was ok.
Any one has any experience with the Fox 32 Float Performance?
Some of my friends advised me to stick with the 2015 for sake of the Reba.
Others swear by the Fox 32 Float Performance fork's quality and performance?
Any thought?

Comments

• The 2015 Anthem can be had on sale for £1200. As far as I can see the 2016 is closer to £1900. Are you sure it will cost you the same?

I have the 2015 Anthem with performance shock and 120 mm performance forks. I would concur with a lot of reviews that small bump sensitivity in trail mode is a bit lacking which you notice a bit when just cruising along but not as noticeable at speed. It also slightly lacking support and prone to brake dive in descend mode and I also seem to miss out on a bit of travel. I find it stiff enough though and it deals with the rough stuff and faster riding well.

My mate has a 2015 reba 120mm and it seems to be a bit better at small bumps but to me felt a bit less stiff but I have only ridden on it a couple of times.

However the 2016 Fox has been completely redesigned. It has the fit 4 damper which separates the damping settings better. uses a negative air spring rather than a metal one which means it can be set up better for different rider weights and is more sensitive over small bumps. It also has the option of adding volume spacers to the air chamber to tune the spring rate. It's also a decent whack lighter.

In theory it should be a much better fork having addressed most of the niggles of previous models. Reviews are thin on the ground for it though so there is little to go off to confirm whether this is actually the case.
  • odessouky

However the 2016 Fox has been completely redesigned. It has the fit 4 damper which separates the damping settings better. uses a negative air spring rather than a metal one which means it can be set up better for different rider weights and is more sensitive over small bumps. It also has the option of adding volume spacers to the air chamber to tune the spring rate. It's also a decent whack lighter.

In theory it should be a much better fork having addressed most of the niggles of previous models. Reviews are thin on the ground for it though so there is little to go off to confirm whether this is actually the case.

Yes, that's exactly what I am asking about. The 2016 has this fit 4 damper thing...

So would be hopefullt on par withthe REba?

Also, how does the REAR Fox Performance shock on the 2016 Anthem compare to the Monarch RL/RT on the 2015 models?

Thanks
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I usually prefer Rockshox but the fit 4 damper is quite a lot better than the Reba RL damper. Rockshox need to put the charger damper in their 32mm forks to catch up with Fox.
    Having said that, the Reba is still a very good fork and if it's more than £150 difference I would have the Reba.
  • odessouky
    I usually prefer Rockshox but the fit 4 damper is quite a lot better than the Reba RL damper. Rockshox need to put the charger damper in their 32mm forks to catch up with Fox.
    Having said that, the Reba is still a very good fork and if it's more than £150 difference I would have the Reba.

Do you know if there are any reviews out on the new fox float 32 performance shocks and forks with that fit 4 thing? Can't find any. Not necessarily on a giant anthem?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    No idea but it's basically the same damper as The Fox 34 & 36 which are both extremely good.
    It's probably a bit early for reviews on a fork that new plus xc forks tend to get ignored by the mountain bike press who are busy telling everyone they need 160mm+ suspension and boost hubs for their weekly wobble around the trail centre.