Upgrade to 105 Groupset (BB problem)

sputnik18
sputnik18 Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi.
I have a Forme Longcliffe 5.0 which has a Shimano UN55 square tapered bottom bracket which is 68x110mm. I was looking to upgrade it a bit and was targeting Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels, and potentially a 10 or 11 speed cassette (currently is 8 speed).
Ideally I would like to go for the Shimano 105 groupset, however I can't seem to find a Hollowtech II BB which would be right.

Could someone point me in the right direction for a bottom bracket and potentially spindle length?

I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Comments

• ianSWBB
    ianSWBB Posts: 25
    sputnik18

so you should be able to just remove the UN55 and fit a 105 5800 English Thread BB - this will then accept the 105 5800 chainset no problem!

all the best
    ian
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Shimano SM-BBR60 http://productinfo.shimano.com/#/lc/2.4/105/2x11 scroll down the page for BB spec.
  • Thanks for your help :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    With Hollowtech 2 the BB consists of a screw-in bearing cup for each side, and a hollow plastic tube between them to keep out any crap / water that finds it's way into the frame. Think of a small donut on each side of the BB shell. Once installed, you can see straight through from one side to the other. So they don't come in different spindle lengths like cartridge types.

The spindle is actually part of the chainset and is permanently attached to the spider. You simply offer up the chainset, sliding the spindle through the installed bearings, then fit the NDS crank to the splined part of the spindle that sticks out the other side. Tighten the plastic end cap finger tight to preload the bearings, then alternately tighten the 2 crank pinch bolts to the required torque, having made sure the safety tab is in the split in the crank.
  • Thanks for the info. Was dreading the spindle being too short or too long.