Advice - Pro-lite Revo A21 disc wheelset

chris217
chris217 Posts: 218
edited June 2016 in Road buying advice
Any views or ride experiences for the above wheels ?

Actually need some general recommendations for road / gravel suitable disc wheels

Cheers

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I have no knowledge of those Pro-Lite wheels, but for that kind of money the Kinesis Crosslight Disc V3 is a good wheelset. You can run them tubeless (I have) and they are fashionably wide. The V3 (with eyeletted rims) is significantly better than the previous model, as well as a bit lighter. Hubs are generic Taiwanese Novatec-a-likes, and seem to hold up well.
  • chris217
    Thanks I have heard good reviews for the cross lights however also mixed comments about running high pressure for road and durability
  • I started a thread about these a few weeks ago.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13036480

As you can see, I went for the Crosslights at £225. Haven't fitted yet as they are going to be a christmas present from my wife.
  • 964cup
    Thanks I have heard good reviews for the cross lights however also mixed comments about running high pressure for road and durability
    I ran a V2 set for about 2000km on Open Paves at 100-110psi. I now have a V3 set which I run either with Hutchinson Intensive 25c tubeless at 100psi or Schwalbe Ultremo Acqua 23c at 110-120psi. So I'd be relaxed about high pressures and road tyres.
  • I just bought some - they haven't arrived yet but I'll let you know what I think once I get the chance!
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
    2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Disc
  • Well - first impressions out of the box are good.

I've read that people have trouble getting tyres on - I have to agree. Some Gatorskins went on but didn't pop into the bead hook properly leaving a bit of a wobbly fit that I just couldn't fix. Some Specialized tyres banged on as expected though. So - some combos might be a bit of a hassle...

I was racing at Oktoberfest at the weekend so I haven't ridden em yet... I'll post an update if anyone's interested.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
  • chris217
    Yes would be interested in ride reports

Cheers
  • 964cup
    Yes would be interested in ride reports

Cheers
    They're wheels. They go round. They're fashionably wide, so you get a slightly plusher ride (depending on tyre choice). At the end of the day, though, all alloy-rimmed, shallow-section 1600-ish gram disc wheelsets will feel much the same at this kind of price point. Certainly there's bugger all perceptible difference in ride feel between these and the Felt CXR1 wheelset that came with my cross bike, which I also ran tubeless with the same Hutchinson tyres. After all, most wheels of this kind use the same cartridge bearings, and the same 3-pawl freehub design, and round spokes.

I've had no trouble getting any (folding) tyres on to them. I ran V2s with 28c Gatorskins and 24c Open Paves, and V3s tubeless with Hutchinson Intensives in a 25c, and latterly as clinchers with Schwalbe Ultremo Acqua. They're not ideal as tubeless wheels; very sensitive to correct taping, and if the tape creases they lose air. I used 21mm tape; 25mm might be better. They're fairly strong (28 3x) and the bearings held up well enough over a couple of thousand km in all weathers. They're fairly light (amazingly so for the money) and rebuild easily, with the rims available cheaply and conventional J-bend spokes.

At £250 or so from Wiggle they're a no-brainer. I can't build anything as good for the money, and Aksium Ones, while materially cheaper and high quality, are a 2kg wheelset.
  • chris217
    Thanks are you talking about the cross lights V2 V3 or Pro-lites ?

Good to hear they go round , that's nice
  • 964cup
    Thanks are you talking about the cross lights V2 V3 or Pro-lites ?

Good to hear they go round , that's nice
    Crosslights, both versions. The V3 is lighter, but more importantly, eyeletted to avoid cracking and help stop the nipples seizing on the rim.
  • I've had the chance for a quick ride on the Pro-Lites now and I'm very pleased.

I bought them to replace the stock wheels that came on my Roubaix SL4 disc which are well over 2kg. So - they were always going to feel light. To me the Pro-Lites pull off the trick of feeling lively, stiff and comfortable all at the same time - at least in comparison with what I was used to! I dunno... maybe it's all psychological but they put a smile on my face.

I guess most wheels at this price point are similar, as 964Cup says, but I think the Pro-Lites are more similar to the Hunt than the Kinesis wheels - EZO bearings, bladed spokes and "genuinely" tubeless . The Pro-Lites are a bit heavier than the Hunts, have a few more spokes (28f 32r) and are a bit cheaper. Like the Hunts, it's also nice you get a pair of QRs and everything to convert to 15mm front /142x12 rear axles in the box.

Anyhow - I recommend them based on my experiences so far. I plan to go tubeless at some point - i hope that'll make them feel even better.

Did I mention that they go round...?
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
  • chris217
    Thanks for feedback
    I have just bought a set of pro lights and initial impressions very good light comfortable stiff and seem well built
    Chose them over the cross lights due to increased spoke count and perception the cross lights don't perform as well as road wheels using higher pressures
    Either way good wheels got them for 280 and happy so far
  • BTW - I set my Revo A21s up tubeless with a pair of Schwalbe Ones 28s...

They are expensive tyres but they went on easily enough with the right combination of technique plus elbow grease and inflated easily with a track pump. Running relatively high pressures for such big tyres at the moment - about 75 front and 85 rear.

All round performance is really good and I'm very happy. OK - maybe a bit of a heavy combo for the weight obsessed but get em spinning on rolling terrain and they hold speed really nicely for minimum effort and are comfortable with it.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 1
  • azzurri78
    azzurri78 Posts: 104
    Thread resurrection!!

Is the freewheel on the Revo's silent or is it clicking?
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Medium. It's audible but not really all that noticeable.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    The freewheel on my A21 disc is quite noisy, not silent by any stretch.

I actually prefer this, as it tends to warn folks that I'm coming - I do a lot of riding on country roads where there are sometimes walkers.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Mine was quite loud to start with. Under advice of others here, I took the freehub off (took less than 10 seconds with a spanner and allen key) applied some grease, put it back together and its alot quieter now - as BTR says, about medium and you forget it when used to it.

The factory had put REALLY thin oil in there rather than grease and as well as not quieting it down, the oil had all leaked out by the end of a couple of weeks, which was when I opened it up.
  • apreading
    One other thing I had - the wheels seem to occasionally develop a 'squeak'. Someone on Wiggle reviews mentions it, then I had it on mine. The rear wheel needed a small dab of grease on the rubber parts of the non-drive-side screw in seal.
  • azzurri78
    azzurri78 Posts: 104
    Thanks guys. A bit of freewheel noise (intended) is good with me. Like people say it tends to warn others that you are in the vicinity.

Will keep an eye on the freehub grease issue and (as it seems straightforward) try and solve it if necessary myself.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Piece of cake. One hex in either axle end undoes them. Free hub easy to slip off.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • apreading
    Taking the freehub off is really easy - I was a bit daunted by it but checked youtube videos and it was just soo much simpler than I was worried about. you can even do it without taking the cassette off, its that simple.