Forgive me :/

Newbiesoldierrider
Newbiesoldierrider Posts: 17
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
This has probably been asked a million times and it's probably that million pound question that everyone wants the answer to but,

I'm wanting to change my 8spd rear cassette as I've got a 9spd shifter etc fitted, and I'm also thinking about changing my bottom bracket as it seems to creek on every rotation.

Firstly, what cassette do you recommend? You'll have to bare with me as I haven't grasped how the whole teeth thing works yet.

And secondly, what bottom bracket do you guys use? What do you recommend, sealed or external?

I know it's all down to personal preference but if it helps answer my questions I'm thinking I want to start competing in enduro/trail type races

Any help/guidance would be gratefully received :)

Comments

• ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    I could be wrong but I hope I'm right, is not as simple just changing to 9 speed, most likely you will need 9 speed cassette, new 9 speed chain, and looking around looks like new crank set which is 9 speed compatible duo to spacing, as for the BB need to measure your current and find what will fit, there is few different option also depends what type of crank you use or will be using.

What bike do you have?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your are wrong....

You'll need 9 speed cassette, chain and shifter, the 8 speed crankset will work fine so you need a BB that suites that crankset, you can't fit an external BB in with a square taper crankset!

The front mech will work OK, but due to the narrower 9 speed chain will need slightly more careful setup.

Cassette, Shimano to budget and 11-34, I never really understood why anyone would fit an 11-32 as the differences are tiny (weight and gear spacing) and you lose a little flexibility.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    If you already have a 9 speed shifter and a 9 speed rear mech, then it's as simple as fitting a 9 speed cassette and a 9 speed chain. HOWEVER, new chain means buying new chain rings (especially if your current chain has been fitted for a significant amount of miles) and you may want to think about buying a "9 speed" front mech, your current one will work but one suited for a 9 speed chain will work much better, giving nice and sharp changes every time.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • The Rookie
    New chainrings are only needed if the old ones are worn, no 'means' about it.

We did an 8 to 9 on my sons bike, no new chainrings used, needed or any similar word you want to use.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I could be wrong but I hope I'm right, is not as simple just changing to 9 speed, most likely you will need 9 speed cassette, new 9 speed chain, and looking around looks like new crank set which is 9 speed compatible duo to spacing, as for the BB need to measure your current and find what will fit, there is few different option also depends what type of crank you use or will be using.

What bike do you have?

I've already got 9 speed chainset on the bike.

It's a 2010 18" Carrera Kraken, Bomber MX Comp. forks, SRAM X-5 shifter, front and rear derailleurs, American Classic All Mountain rims and Shimano Deore XT hubs and Truativ crankset
  • Update,

after being to a local shop it's been suggested that I go 1x11 (as it's the new thing), but I think I'm gonna stick to 2x10. Still a little confused with teeth ratios but I do remember settling for 11-32 on the rear, think it was 26-36 on the front???

What groupset do you guys recommend/suggest?
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Update,

after being to a local shop it's been suggested that I go 1x11 (as it's the new thing), but I think I'm gonna stick to 2x10. Still a little confused with teeth ratios but I do remember settling for 11-32 on the rear, think it was 26-36 on the front???

What groupset do you guys recommend/suggest?

If I was you I would go out where you riding and try your normal stuff with middle chain ring around 32-34t at front and all rear gears, then see if you come to any step hill if you can get to top just in that chain ring, could be a waste of money trying to get 2 at front or even 1x11 set up, but that's my personal opinion

• If I was you I would go out where you riding and try your normal stuff with middle chain ring around 32-34t at front and all rear gears, then see if you come to any step hill if you can get to top just in that chain ring, could be a waste of money trying to get 2 at front or even 1x11 set up, but that's my personal opinion

I ride everywhere at the moment in the top ring and just go between the rings on my 8spd cassette. I've spoken to a few guys locally back home and a few here in Southampton and most of them are either riding 2x10 or just the one up front.

I want to get the bike ready for racing ideally :D
  • The Rookie
    I ride 1x9, while the bigger spread of 1x11 is nice, it's not a must!