Felt Z6 2015 or Cube Peloton SL 2015?

TrueType
TrueType Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone, 

I am a 36 year-old cycler from Istanbul. Although I've always had a bicycle around and often used it for commuting in warm seasons, cycling wasn't really a huge part of my life until this summer. After quitting smoking and gaining weight last winter (about 10 kg), I developed stronger relationship with my old Peugeot (1992). First I started night rides to loose the weight I gained (succeeded). Then I started to really like it. And there is a new velodrome built close to my house that I could go train on winters. So I'm about to get a road bike for more serious riding. I don't plan to do any race but I enjoy cycling as a hobby and an activity for fitness.

There are some good "end of season" deals for 2015 bikes in local bike shops and I am trying to decide between Felt Z6 and Cube Peloton SL. Both bikes have a similar endurance geometry, fitted to my purpose. I tried them both in the shops and couldn't find any major difference in ergonomics. Except Pelotons handlebar seemed too narrow (size 53). Both frames seem to have very good reviews for their own. Cube seems to be as good as aluminium gets, and Felt seems to be one of the most comfortable road bikes around. Considering the price, I would easily go for carbon Felt, and later upgrade it to better components if/when needed. But Cube has better dealership in Turkey, if I ever need to use warranty. And the wet paint red colour looks awesome! Which one would you recommend?

Cube Peloton SL, 2015 (£790 or €1071 local price)
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/tr/en/cube-peloton-sl-compact-road-bike-2015/rp-prod127979
Frame: Aluminium
Fork: Carbon
Shifters: Shimano 105 5800
Front Derailleur: Ultegra 6800
Rear Derailleur: Ultegra 6800
Crankset: Shimano 105 5800 50x34t.
Brakes: Shimano 105 5800
Wheels: Mavic Aksium S
Tyres: Mavic Aksion 700x25c

Felt Z6, 2015 (£651 or €880 discount price)
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Felt-Z6-2015-Road-Bike_74288.htm
Frame: Carbon
Fork: Carbon
Shifters: Tiagra 2x10
Crankset: Tiagra 50-34t
Cassette: 10 Speed 11-32t
Brakes: No-Name dual pivot calipers
Wheels: Felt RSL3
Tyres: Felt 700x25c

Comments

• dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    Hello and welcome to BR.

The usual advice on here if you are undecided between two bikes, is to buy the one that fits you the best and prefer the look of. You seem to be swaying towards the Cube because you seem to prefer the paint job and you favour the warranty back up of the brand in Turkey.

Depends whether you want a full carbon bike and would be happy with the 10sp transmission, also what are the quality of the roads like where you ride, many people swear by the ride comfort of their carbon framed bikes. However quality triple butted aluminium framed bikes can also offer a comfortable ride, the tyre size/ width/construction and pressures you use can have a big influence on ride quality.

BTW 53cm is not a narrow handle bar width, 42cm is the norm on a lot of bikes these days so I would check that width again on the Cube as it doesn't sound correct, unless you are referring to the bike frame size?
  • Hello and welcome to BR.

BTW 53cm is not a narrow handle bar width, 42cm is the norm on a lot of bikes these days so I would check that width again on the Cube as it doesn't sound correct, unless you are referring to the bike frame size?

No, I meant the frame size by 53, not the handlebar width. Assuming they fit narrower bars for their small frames. Size 53 is small/medium in Cube. Felt Z6's handlebar seemed slightly wider but I may be wrong. I will go see Felt again today. It may be a better option because of the frame. Our roads are rough and the Peloton had some reviews about it's stiffness and harsh feeling from the oversized seat post.

I consider both companies have the same reliability? Cube is very well known here and trusted, but Felt is the opposite. They are new here and didn't sell much. But I see very good reviews on the internet.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,222
    In that case you maybe better considering the Felt Z6 as it seems a better fit, wider handlebars, also has a 27.2 dia. seatpost and 28F/32R spoked wheels. All the owners reviews I have read compliment the smooth ride of the frame, as for the warranty, it states on the US website that warranty conditions vary in countries outside the USA, so you would need to check them with the distributor in Turkey.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    I would go for the Cube, better components will prevent the desire to upgrade.
    Do not go for the Felt just because it is Carbon.
  • I have got a 2015 CubePeloton SL

For me the deciding factor which led me to buying the Cube was the spec. You get so much bike for your money.

It rides really well, fairly light (8.75kg) for an entry level bike. The only thing I see myself changing it the cassette to a 11-28T from the stock 11-32T. Other than that it's brilliant!

BTW, measured the bars. The width at the bar end is about 41-42cm, at the hood position it's 40-41 middle to middle
  • I went for the Felt. The great reviews on Z6's comfort was the deciding factor for me. Our roads are not so great, so I will probably be happier with a smoother ride, rather than a higher spec 2x11 group set. Not that the Cube would be too harsh. But Z6 frame seems to be exceptionally comfortable. And it has good upgrade potential.

I picked the bike with my car yesterday evening and I realised I left my cycling shoes in the shop when I got home. I was planning to go for a night ride but I didn't want to ride it with tennis shoes. Hopefully I will get my shoes today and ride the bike tonight (unless I decide to buy the Ultegra group I stumbled upon yesterday, and replace the Tiagra on the bike before use :twisted: , but I'll probably behave :lol:

Thank you all for your inputs.