Brooks B17 question

handful
handful Posts: 920
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
After hearing loads of good things about this saddle I am tempted to give one a try but am concerned I may have too much saddle to bar drop for this style of Brooks (around 4-5 inches) I know I could try a Team Pro instead but these don't seem to be quite so highly regarded, anyone with experience of the B17 with a significant saddle to bar drop?

Thanks in advance.
Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
Orbea Rise

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have a B17 on my Racelight Tk, but I think I have a saddle to bar drop of about 3 inches on that. Not sure what it would be like with a bigger drop. It's been superbly comfortable from the moment it came out of the box though.

I only tried it after several modern synthetic ones proved painful, and I remembered cycling thousands of miles in comfort on a B17 as a teenager. I suspect back in those days the saddle to bar drop was negligible though.
  • handful
    I have a B17 on my Racelight Tk, but I think I have a saddle to bar drop of about 3 inches on that. Not sure what it would be like with a bigger drop. It's been superbly comfortable from the moment it came out of the box though.

I only tried it after several modern synthetic ones proved painful, and I remembered cycling thousands of miles in comfort on a B17 as a teenager. I suspect back in those days the saddle to bar drop was negligible though.

Hmm, thanks keef. I actually pulled the trigger on one on the weekend after a few beers *note to self, don't go on bike websites whilst drinking beer* but then read that they are best suited to a more upright position. It hasn't come yet so I need to decide whether or not to give it a try or just send back and exchange! Your story is similar to a lot of people which is what has tempted me for that model!
    Orbea Rise
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198

Hmm, thanks keef. I actually pulled the trigger on one on the weekend after a few beers *note to self, don't go on bike websites whilst drinking beer* but then read that they are best suited to a more upright position. It hasn't come yet so I need to decide whether or not to give it a try or just send back and exchange! Your story is similar to a lot of people which is what has tempted me for that model!

I have the B17 imperial on a Kuota kharma - I don't have massive saddle to bar drop - But really don't think that going to be the deal breaker here. Remember it moulds to the shape of your ass - Mines be great - I couldn't get comfortable else - I don't think I will ever use anything else - let us know how it goes...
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    I've had a few Brooks, Team Pro, B17, B15 (swallow), Flyer and 2 other models.

I'd would suggest a B15 Swallow for that position on the bike but make sure it's wide enough for you.

Check this site for more info http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/zadels/index_e.html
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    On my lighter dry weather bike I have a Spa Cycles Wharfe leather saddle. It's more of a racing model, a Chinese copy of a Brooks Swallow, so it may suit your greater bar drop / posture better.
    Very thick leather, slower to break in than the Brooks, but now it's comfy I'm sure it will outlive me.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    I have a B17 on my spare winter bike, drop is about 5" and it is fine (once the saddle is broken in that is). I also have a B17 with the spring base (B66 I think) on my tandem trike, the bars on that are higher than the saddle and it is also supremely comfy. If you find it uncomfortable at first just persevere with putting Proofide (the Brooks saddle gunk) on and it will mould to your sit bones in time. Would hope this is not on a weight weenie bike though, they do weigh a ton (but worth it).
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • handful

I have the B17 imperial on a Kuota kharma - I don't have massive saddle to bar drop - But really don't think that going to be the deal breaker here. Remember it moulds to the shape of your ass - Mines be great - I couldn't get comfortable else - I don't think I will ever use anything else - let us know how it goes...

Interesting, my main bike is a Kuota Kharma! I bet it looks a little odd on an aero seatpost! I have read that with a lot of drop it can cause perineal pressure and if you tilt down slightly to compensate it is quite slippery and you can slide forward. I might just give it a try and if it works in time might even get a second one for my Kuota as well!
    keef66 wrote:
    On my lighter dry weather bike I have a Spa Cycles Wharfe leather saddle. It's more of a racing model, a Chinese copy of a Brooks Swallow, so it may suit your greater bar drop / posture better.
    Very thick leather, slower to break in than the Brooks, but now it's comfy I'm sure it will outlive me.

Will have a look at that one ut will probably stick with Brooks I think. Thanks!
    bbrap wrote:
    I have a B17 on my spare winter bike, drop is about 5" and it is fine (once the saddle is broken in that is). I also have a B17 with the spring base (B66 I think) on my tandem trike, the bars on that are higher than the saddle and it is also supremely comfy. If you find it uncomfortable at first just persevere with putting Proofide (the Brooks saddle gunk) on and it will mould to your sit bones in time. Would hope this is not on a weight weenie bike though, they do weigh a ton (but worth it).

Not too bothered about the weight on this bike, I have mudguards on it and it's my "winter bike" so comfort to encourage more riding is the key! Encouraging to see you got on well with similar drop to me. Thanks
    Orbea Rise
  • handful
    I've had a few Brooks, Team Pro, B17, B15 (swallow), Flyer and 2 other models.

I'd would suggest a B15 Swallow for that position on the bike but make sure it's wide enough for you.

Check this site for more info http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tests/zadels/index_e.html

Useful link, thanks RRSODL
    Orbea Rise