Strange

flimflam
flimflam Posts: 8
edited December 2015 in Commuting general
Hello fellow commuters!

So I had my bike in the shop for a some general repairs (punctures , change the tires) and I got a call from them saying that the Dlock holder had worn out the frame and that it was unsuitable for riding and repair. So they refused to do the repairs(In London). Has this happened to anyone else according to them it happens a lot the dlocks wear out the frame? I have had the bike for 5 years or so Aluminum frame. I dont think they are trying to swindle me as they are a reputable place. I just found it odd.

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Some shops won't touch high risk items, even if they are not working on that particular area as they fear being liable.

Why not get the bike back, take a look and post some images.

Unless they've said you must buy a bike from them, it sounds the opposite of a swindle..
  • Yeah will do, I am going to try to get it back today. They haven't tried to sell me one but they recommended i get a new frame or a bike. I am just surprised that a bike lock could cause such problems.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Last time I was in a knowledgeable bike shop I asked if I should be concerned with the grooves worn by my brake hoses on the front forks - maybe a millimetre deep and 3-4 wide. They said no worry at all as that part of the axle crown was pretty much a solid lump. However they did say that on other parts of the frame that sort of wear would be potentially very dangerous
  • Finally got around to the bike shop, so two quite deep dents on the down tube. I have decided to risk it for a bit and see what happens. I am only riding 10 miles a day on a city streets so i am thinking it might be ok.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I've seen a chainstay worn right through from a failed rear wheel bearing in 8 miles use....aluminium is not good on abrasion resistance.

As long as there is not a hole (and you can't damage it at the worn point with finger pressure) it is probably OK, but learn the lesson and mount things properly!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lesson learnt !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ironically just yesterday our rotary washing line fell over, the bottom 4 inches of the main post had snapped off, the continual rotation with the muck from a lawn getting in the gap and acting like an abrasive had worn away the aluminium until on a windy day it just snapped off.

Plastic cap removed from snapped section, end tidied up, cap inserted and it should be good for another 12-13 years! (just 4" shorter).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.