Is 2 grand a bit OTT for a first bike?

2»

Comments

• dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    You chose the Basso because it looked good, nice paint job, and had an Italian name, not because it was some kind of extraordinary frame that could withstand upgrading or had some special ride quality.
    Most people change bikes after a few years of use regardless of the quality of the frame anyway.

Err no I didn't.
    Why then? when a frame costing £1000 could do the same job.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    We've all seen the same frames being knocked out by discount bike shops here and also available from Italy but under a brand name for a lot more money. You pay a lot of money for the name.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You chose the Basso because it looked good, nice paint job, and had an Italian name, not because it was some kind of extraordinary frame that could withstand upgrading or had some special ride quality.
    Most people change bikes after a few years of use regardless of the quality of the frame anyway.

Err no I didn't.
    Why then? when a frame costing £1000 could do the same job.

If I'd seen a carbon frameset for £1,000 that had similar geometry, in house construction rather than a factory in Taiwan or China and handling characteristics to the Basso, then maybe I would have considered it. As it happens, I didn't see one and the Basso was a discounted deal.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • StillGoing
    We've all seen the same frames being knocked out by discount bike shops here and also available from Italy but under a brand name for a lot more money. You pay a lot of money for the name.

You pay a lot less money for a "replica" of a frameset, more commonly known as a copy.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Make list of what you want from a road bike including components and see what matches it. As above second hand is useful as you are unlikely to lose much value on resale and it will give you a good idea what you really want from a bike. If buying new just be clear what riding position and gearing you need.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437

You pay a lot less money for a "replica" of a frameset, more commonly known as a copy.

These weren't copies. Open source moulds that a big brand was stickering up as their own. Same bike under the stickers. It happens.
  • stuyd
    stuyd Posts: 207
    There is a lot of 2k and 1k bikes for sale on here and ebay, suckers who didnt do their research or didn't
    Stick with the sport.
    Some of the best riders and fastest i know and train with have £1400 bikes from planrt x.
    time to man up.
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Been watching this topic with interest as I am about to make a similar purchase.

Have decided to treat myself to a BMC SLR02 teammachine after getting back into cycling after 20 years out.I am now 45 and figure it's nice to have the nice things in life.
    I have been building the miles on a £100 car boot Bianchi and have decided the BMC will be my first serious road bike.I will only be using it for pleasure and sportives etc
    As for upgrading,I figure I can upgrade wheels in the longrun and even fit Di2 if the urge takes me.
    To make sure I have as good a start as possible I will be measured by the person doing my bike fit prior to ordering my 2016 model,this should ensure I get the right bike.Predominantly because Evans sell BMC and the bike fit will be done at my LBS who iIhave a great relationship with.
    My belief is that if you really want something and can afford it,go get it and have fun.
    Life is too short to say what if...

Phil.
  • StillGoing
    There is a lot of 2k and 1k bikes for sale on here and ebay, suckers who didnt do their research or didn't
    Stick with the sport.
    Some of the best riders and fastest i know and train with have £1400 bikes from planrt x.

Or maybe they couldn't afford a more expensive bike. Just because somebody buys an expensive bike does not make them a sucker. As the post above says, if you can afford it, buy it. It's a hobby and not some unwritten law that you can only buy what your ability suggests you should have.