Scott spark 750(2015) or Giant Anthem 2 (2015)

Pedro872
Pedro872 Posts: 67
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Help me decide it'll be my first MTB and a real stretch on finances but I understand things like these you need to push yourself a little.

Wanting an all round bike but mostly for XC & trails.

Thanks,

Pedro.

Comments

• BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    A lot of money to spend on a 1st MTB but I guess that's your privilege

Both are good bikes, well reviewed, blah, blah.

The Anthem is a super bike but of course I'm biased as I have one!

My suggestion would be to try both (and others perhaps) and see which one feels right. Shouldn't be hard to get a test ride on either of these bikes - there's plenty of stockists
  • Thanks for replying guys,

The bike I have been borrowing has been an Anthem and to be honest I really like it due to it being light and agile.
    Whereas the Spark I haven't tried but my LBS has offered me a bit of a deal on one, but like has been mentioned the twin lock is maybe something I could do without on my first bike.

Cheers,

Pete.
  • I think it is possible to remove a spacer from the Reba fork on the Anthem to extend travel up to 120 mm on the front ( you would need to check this though ). This would be a good compromise r.e. The difference in Travel between the bikes and gives a head tube angle a touch slacker than the Spark rather than slightly steeper.

I also wouldnt reccomend the Evolution Fork. It can be upgraded at a cost to a sealed damper but doesnt perform well out of the box compared to the reba.

I have the 2015 anthem SX which has 120 mm on the front and as an XC bike with a bit more Gnarl it rides really well. The rear suspension works especially well. It is really active but pedal bob is virtually non existant. I dont bother with the lockout on it. I dont find I need it.

One thing to be slightly aware of with the Giant is it will have a resonably long stem on it. If you do extend the fork which will slightly shorten the frame reach and like a shorter stem anyway then you may need to go up a frame size.
  • For this price point what would people's other recommendations be?

£1500-600.

Thanks.
  • Mattcee
    Mattcee Posts: 148
    Another vote for the Anthem here, I have the 2015 2 and its been brill and can take quite a pounding.
  • After another visit to my LBS I'm just about ready to commit to the Scott spark 750.

Couple of reasons but basically he's being quoted January for the anthem delivery and another is that he's doing me a real good deal on the Scott, plus I do like the look of it :-)