Custom built touring bike for LEJOG

themightyw
themightyw Posts: 409
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi folks

It's my 40th next year and I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on doing LEJOG, over 9 days. Alongside doing LEJOG I was considering treating myself and getting a handbuilt tourer not just for LEJOG but, hopefully, for another 30 years of happy long distance bikeriding.

A few questions, where the advice of the community would be hugely appreciated.

- Currently, the few mini tours I've done recently have been on my Planet X Uncle John. As a sanity check, is it likely that by going for a custom built tourer from one of the 'big names' is it likely to be any better in reality than, say, a Dawes Galaxy? In some ways the important part for me is that this will be my unique bike, made for me, to my specification. But I don't want to go down that route if ultimately it's not going to give me a great touring bike for the money.

- When I last looked at this seriously the main players were people like Dave Yates, Mercian and Bob Jackson. Are they still the best places to look?

Any advice much appreciated.

CW

Comments

• ianSWBB
    ianSWBB Posts: 25
    CW
    LEJOG will be a great cycling experience for you - hope you get good weather and a tailwind :)

On the bike front, as you're looking at something for now and then the next 30 years, it would be worth a decent investment in getting the chassis correct from the outset

If it were me, I'd probably go for a Tommasini - hand built in Italy out of either Columbus Steel or Titanium (more than likely would choose the Titanium, so as to lose a bit of weight - you won't always be riding fully laden!) - you can choose whatever geometry you like and even your own colour scheme!!!
    Obviously all braze-on options are available too! :)
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Dave Yates, Mercian and Bob Jackson are all good custom frame builders if you are after a proper touring bike. Or you might fancy getting one built by one of the one-man artisan custom frame makers springing up with the recent revival of interest in steel.

My custom touring frame was built 25 years ago by Charlie Ralph of Alves Cycles in north east Scotland (no longer operating) and it is definitely a step above a mass produced touring bike such as a Dawes Galaxy. Charlie's claim was that it was not so much the fit that makes a custom bike special (different stems, bars and seat posts can make most bikes fit OK) but the quality of construction, accurately mitred tube joins and low temperature brazing which produce a stress-free frame that is stronger and rides better.

A big advantage of going custom is you specify all the components. And you can get some strong handbuilt touring wheels that will cope with carrying loads over rough roads and long distances - this is a top priority, in my experience.

Of course, it all depends whether you want a traditional touring bike that can carry camping gear, a more frisky audax type bike suitable for lighter loads or a rough stuff or gravel bike. This is something to discuss with your builder. Do you want braze-ons for racks, guards etc or do you fancy the latest strap-on bags designed for "adventure touring". Some members of this forum occasionally sneer at cycle tourists, making jokes about beards and sandals, but a traditional British touring bike is really well suited to riding long distances with luggage on roads and tracks.

Tommasini make nice road (racing) frames but the Italians don't really do touring bikes. Why go abroad when there is much more expertise at making touring bikes here in Britain?
  • Solis
    Solis Posts: 166
    I would be adding Paul Hewitt to the list.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Just a thought- last time I did a tour (London to Lands End) I left the bike outside various cafes and such places. Maybe an under-expensive bike will cause more headaches than its worth? I'd love a titanium do it all bike (tourer / commuter/ winter rider / light offroad) but wonder if it is worth it when an ally one is so much cheaper!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I was thinking about LEJOG* I was seriously considering a stock Bob Jackson End to End (the clue is in the name) You still get to customise it in terms of braze-ons, chrome plating, paint job etc.

Unless you're a really unusual shape / size I'm not sure what benefit you get from having a completely custom built frame.

* and then life got in the way, 10 years have passed, and I still haven't done it...
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I would also add Brian Rourke to the list, I got a custom 853 frame from them a few moths ago. I built it up myself, but they will also build a full bike for you. I had to take my current bike down for a measure-up, so you'll need to factor this in.
    The only downsides are you'd have to travel to Burslem in Stoke for the fitting, which is a fair schlep from St Andrews, and you might have to wait up to 8 months for completion (depending on how busy they are), if that's a problem. They are very thorough though, Gareth who does the measure-ups will allow hours to get it right for you.

What about Shand? They do custom frames and seem more local to you?

http://www.shandcycles.com/custom/
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I was just going to add a Rourke 853, but LakesLuddite beat me to it!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you're looking for somewhere fairly local there is Hardie Bikes based in Cairneyhill just outside Dunfermline.

They do have a Custom Bike page on their website

http://www.hardie-bikes.com/info/custom_bike_builds.php

Not quiet sure how custom their offering is - may just be a case of sourcing a frame and components and doing an assembly job. Could be worth giving them a call tho'

On any custom project it's much better to talk face to face with the builder.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Many road bikes can be easily converted to cope with LEJOG - I have converted a few friend's bikes so really depends on whether you need a dedicated touring bike. A Tubus Fly rack, a bar roll and framebag given enough luggage capacity and maybe a triple chainset? There are also lots of options with adventure / gravel bikes over a traditional tourer if you fancy mixing trail with tarmac. Disc brakes and the option to run 40mm+ tyres would be near the top of my list.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I was just going to add a Rourke 853, but LakesLuddite beat me to it!

For a road bike, yes but for a custom touring bike, I'd go to Longstaff.
  • Brilliant replies folks. Many, many thanks. I'll look into all the suggestions carefully.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Condor Fratello Disc?