Bib tights - worth paying more?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
So I entered the world of bibs last week after I bought a couple of pairs of bib shorts (Altura). I tried them out this weekend and they are a world apart from cycling shorts + top. I was really impressed.

As it was still reasonably warm this weekend I got away with a base layer top, bib shorts and a half-sleeve jersey.

However, it's obviously going to get much cooler in the coming weeks and I'm totally converted to bibs. I'm looking at bib tights for Winter.

The prices seem to vary massively. I've seen some on eBay for about £20 including postage. It's a brand called Didoo. Anyone heard of it? At the other end of the scale, there are ones costing well over £100.

Is it a case of you get what you pay for? I would just class myself as a recreational cyclist so all I want is something that will keep me warm and something that is comfortable to wear on bike rides (1-2 hours mainly) over the Winter months.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Lusso
  • I have these - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-roubaix-padded-bib-tight/
    Warm, not too dear and well reviewed.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    edited October 2015
    I have been wearing a pair of Didoo bibshorts regularly for two years. The pad is getting a bit thin so I have just got another pair. I tried a pair of their 3/4 bibs but the sizing was a bit weird so I sent them back. I have no complaints of quality. They wont suit the E bay knockers or the brand name snobs but I am happy with them.
  • DHB
    Endura
    Altura
    Giordana
    Bontrager

The list of affordable kit is endless, but buy cheapo rubbish and thats what you will end up with. along with a sore ass
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    DHB
    Endura
    Altura
    Giordana
    Bontrager

The list of affordable kit is endless, but buy cheapo rubbish and thats what you will end up with. along with a sore ass

This is true there are loads of affordable brands, you don't have to wear Rapha/Assos

But the last paragraph makes me laugh. Have you worn the didoo brand?
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Never heard of didoo, suggest you Dddon't. Pun assure you can get good quality bib tights from Decathlon, just make they are better padded ones. Look for mainstream names Altura, Endura, DUB, Gore to name a few. Never pay full price wait till on sale, also for winter windproof Roubaix style are better for cold weather. And finally yes you get for what you pay for. Pay peanuts expect rubbish. Base layers are your friends.

This would be my advice as well. I wear castelli bib tights on my road bike as they fit me well but bought them half price in a sale. Cheap bibs are normally poorly made, poor fitting and not good quality materials.
  • rumbataz
    I have been wearing a pair of Didoo bibshorts regularly for two years. The pad is getting a bit thin so I have just got another pair. I tried a pair of their 3/4 bibs but the sizing was a bit weird so I sent them back. I have no complaints of quality. They wont suit the E bay knockers or the brand name snobs but I am happy with them.

They seem to be the actual manufacturer selling them on eBay and the write-up about the technical elements of the clothing is as good as more premium brands, at the price it's almost worth buying one pair just to see how they are. I might end up ordering one pair just to see.
  • rumbataz
    I should have bought some during the Summer as it's hard time get Winter clothing in a sale at the moment. I get 17% off Wiggle at the moment so can make use of that and get Altura or Dhb bib tights. The price point seems to be around £45 with the discount.
  • rumbataz
    I have these - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-roubaix-padded-bib-tight/

These have been in my Wiggle basket waiting for checkout since the weekend! Just looking at all options before I go for it. The reviews are very good.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I can't comment on the Didoo kit but my first reaction is that it's just too cheap to be any good! I would however support the earlier recommendation for Lusso from first hand experience. I've got some of their bib shorts and bib tights as well as a long sleeve jersey - they are all very good quality and, IMHO, one of the best value kit makers on the market today (and they are made in the UK). I have met the owner of the company (at the last NEC Cycle Show) and thought he was a top bloke as well as a keen cyclist.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • rumbataz
    I can't comment on the Didoo kit but my first reaction is that it's just too cheap to be any good! I would however support the earlier recommendation for Lusso from first hand experience. I've got some of their bib shorts and bib tights as well as a long sleeve jersey - they are all very good quality and, IMHO, one of the best value kit makers on the market today (and they are made in the UK). I have met the owner of the company (at the last NEC Cycle Show) and thought he was a top bloke as well as a keen cyclist.

Can you recommend a retailer for Lusso? Also, are they stretchy? I just looked on the Lusso website and I fall between L and XL but would prefer the L due to the slightly shorter inside leg.

I'm looking at these: http://www.lusso.bike/mens/tights-bib-tights/bib-tights/thermal-roubaix-bib-tights.html

Hopefully, they can be had a lot cheaper from an online retailer.
  • rumbataz
    I have these - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-roubaix-padded-bib-tight/

Just checked with Wiggle and was told that these have been replaced by these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-roubaix-bib-tights/

I'm trying to understand the difference, if any. Price is roughly the same.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Don't discount leg-warmers. With a decent pair of leg warmers you can have the warmth and coverage of tights without either the expense or taking up more wardrobe space. The only thing you won't get is the wamer fabric around the upper parts (ie crotch and backside).
    I am going to try this combination this winter, as I have bib shorts with really good pads, and I want to have this all through winter.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    As above, just buy Castelli nanoflex leg warmers - I have about 10 pairs of bib tights but never use them anymore I just use my regular bib shorts + leg warmers. The only time I'd say bib tights have an advantage is on bitterly cold and wet days where the extra warmth and weather proofing is noticeable but I never really ride in those conditions so it's not an issue for me (I'm fine with cold and dry or mild and wet but not cold and wet :p ).
  • ayjaycee
    Rumba,
    I have bought them from Merlin in the past and my buying has coincided with them selling at a very good discount (and cheaper than the Lusso site). As to sizing, the ones that I have got are fairly stretchy and , if it helps, XL fits my 6'1" / 82Kgs frame perfectly.
    The leg warmer suggestion is good for chilly temperatures and I do use them but when it gets really cold, I personally find that the bits covered only by the thinner material of the bib shorts suffer a bit (and those bits are quite precious to me).
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Can you recommend a retailer for Lusso? Also, are they stretchy? I just looked on the Lusso website and I fall between L and XL but would prefer the L due to the slightly shorter inside leg.

I'm looking at these: http://www.lusso.bike/mens/tights-bib-tights/bib-tights/thermal-roubaix-bib-tights.html

Hopefully, they can be had a lot cheaper from an online retailer.
    Merlin Cycles sell Lusso stuff.
  • As above, just buy Castelli nanoflex leg warmers - I have about 10 pairs of bib tights but never use them anymore I just use my regular bib shorts + leg warmers. The only time I'd say bib tights have an advantage is on bitterly cold and wet days where the extra warmth and weather proofing is noticeable but I never really ride in those conditions so it's not an issue for me (I'm fine with cold and dry or mild and wet but not cold and wet :p ).

This - I only have tiny legs, so I'm sure the leg warmers won't fit me, but I have the knee and arm warmers and they are awesome.
    I don't think I'd bother going out if it was cold and wet. That's no fun at all. I'll just go on the rollers (which I have yet to invest in) or sit on the sofa eating cake.
  • ayjaycee
    I don't mind the cold (as long as it doesn't make the road icy) but just can't stand the wet. Even in the height of summer, wet weather is enough to keep me off the bike unless it happens when I'm already out.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    I bought a pair of PBK leg warmers last winter and am very happy with them.

I also have a couple of pairs of unpadded bib tights that I wear over shorts when it's that bit colder and I don't want my bits colder.

Either of these is a good, cost-effective solution when you already have decent shorts.
  • rumbataz
    Unfortunately my first batch of cycling gear was from SportDirect so not really that high quality (mostly the MuddyFox range). It has served me well for the last four years though but I'm having a clearout and moving on to slightly better cycling clothing at the moment.

However, I've often wondered why unpadded bib tights were sold and now I know!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Depends on how cold you run and how long and cold your bike rides are - but its thermal tights for me in winter. You can buy ones without pads and still have your nice padded shorts underneath.

I find when its cold I need more than a layer of lycra on.

DHB are good - and so are Planet X.
  • Depends on how cold you run and how long and cold your bike rides are - but its thermal tights for me in winter. You can buy ones without pads and still have your nice padded shorts underneath.

+1 for all of these comments.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Depends on how cold you run and how long and cold your bike rides are - but its thermal tights for me in winter. You can buy ones without pads and still have your nice padded shorts underneath.

..or painstakingly unpick the useless pad from a cheap pair bought some years ago and have them as unpadded tights. It only took me about two hours, but saved a few bob! You can take the man out of Yorkshire but...
  • rumbataz
    A quick update - received my dhb bib tights today. These ones (dhb Classic Roubaix Bib Tights):

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-roubaix-bib-tights/?sku=5360709820

Now, according to someone at Wiggle who I chatted with recently, those ones replace these dhb Vaeon Roubaix Padded Bib Tight (these ones: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-roubaix-padded-bib-tight/)

I just quickly tried them on but didn't go out riding in them. They felt comfortable to wear and fitted tightly.

I also TOFTT (Took One For The Team) and ordered a pair of the £20 (inc. P&P) Didoo ones. I'll provide feedback on here in terms of a comparison with the dhb Classic Roubaix Bib Tights ones (which were £55 list but I got a reasonable discount).
  • rumbataz
    dhb bib tights versus Didoo bib tights

Price of dhb Classic Roubaix Bib Tights: £45.65 (which included a 17% discount, excludes postage)
    Price of Didoo Thermal Tight Fit Mens Cycling Bib Tights: £17.87 (plus £3.10 for postage)

I ordered the Large size of both.

The dhb tights are a very tight fit - designed for people with 'cycling' bodies - tall and lean. The Didoo ones are a somewhat more relaxed fit - next time I would order one size down of the Didoo ones. Both are supremely comfortable but the Didoo ones appeared to feel a little softer against my skin. I've not been out for a ride in either yet, but I've just tried them on and walked around the house for a few minutes to get a feel for them.

The pad seems to be of a similar quality too on both pairs.

I can't really see any differences in the quality of manufacture. The Didoo fabric is a tiny bit softer. Stitching and seams appear to be of a similar quality. The Didoo ones come direct from the manufacturer so there's no retail markup I guess.

The packaging of the dhb ones was slightly better.

Once I've ridden in both of them I'll report back but initial impressions of just trying them on are that the Didoo ones will get me through the colder months very well indeed and I can order nearly three pairs for price of one dhb pair.

I think if you're a more serious cyclist with a lean and tall body, then you may wish to go for the tighter fit of the dhb ones. If you're a recreational cyclist with more a 'dad-bod' like me then the Didoo ones may feel more comfortable.

The sizing, as is often the case with cycling clothing, is way off. Next time around I'd probably order one size up for the dhb bib tights and one size smaller for the Didoo ones to get the same tightness of fit on the body.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    The sizing, as is often the case with cycling clothing, is way off. Next time around I'd probably order one size up for the dhb bib tights and one size smaller for the Didoo ones to get the same tightness of fit on the body.

surprised you found the dhb ones like that, as Ive always found their sizing to be what I call realistic for cycling manufacturers, its the Raphas,Castellis & Assos of this world that seem to think everyone is short & whippet like :D and dont forget on the bike youll be seated in a different position to walking around normally so it may be different on the bike,
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    You kind of answered your own question in saying you love your new Altura bib shorts. Altura are very good quality for not a lot of money in my opinion.