Stevens Glide Max

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited July 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Bit of an odd ball this one but nabbed the frame off eBay nearly built but needs some tinkering an the rear shock setting. Grabbed a quick snap part way through building it front brakes being a pain no apparent reason its fouling the rotor. I've used this setup in the past no problem so no idea what's going on there. Single photo part way through building all I've left to do now is fix the front brake set the sag a play.

20151003_142036_zpsa7rblmjy.jpg

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    These never really sold well here. I have only ever seen one and it was very broken with a snapped seat stay.
  • step83
    This one seems solid enough. Brakes took a turn for the worse. Fouling was me using the wrong adaptor maiden ride was short after the rear brake failed levers leaking even without using it Its an M596 so no spares for them annoyingly so I'll pick up a new lever, seems over two years abuse has finally killed it.
    Also the forks are horrible and noisy so need a strip and service.
    On the plus side though the rear shock felt plush pedals well even open and climbs really well.

So waiting on new brake levers ill pop my other forks on for now travels a bit less but dont sound like a bag of spanners.

Grabbed a photo after crawling back up to the carpark with it

20151004_122302_zpss23rhgv0.jpg
  • step83
    Bit of an update, new levers are ready to go on got a pair of Deore Xt's to go on.

Took the fork apart its in a bad way internally the noise was the coil which appears to have damaged its housing somehow and its pretty much bone dry inside so took the decision to cut my losses an get a new set of forks. Ive a set of Rockshox Revelation RLTs coming 140mm travel and 15mm axle so an axle kits also on order for the wheels an ill take the rears up to a 12mm axle at the same time. Annoying amount of spending at the moment but all needed at the end of the day.
  • step83
    Well got it going, brakes arrived, a set of XTs. Kept having brake issues even with these using my old hosing so binned it off an fitted a new set

20151010_104253_HDR_zpsvaifvnta.jpg

Forks also arrived picked up a new lower cup for the headset to seat a tapered steerer.

20151014_134428_zpspkocihij.jpg

Revs went on no issues also swapped out the purple rims which looked plain odd as well. First run with brakes wasnt bad didnt get many miles in as the world, their wife dogs and all the children seemed to be out walking signed bike trails. Had a little play on the downhill runs was great to get a feel for the bike just need to protect the rear shock which got covered an some wider bars.

Last photo with my mates Norco.

20151018_135447_zpsbz0qzhoc.jpg
  • step83
    Bit of a change with the bike, kind of damaged the carbon bars. So they did need changing, also noticed the cassette I had was actually pretty much ruined very much shark toothed.
    Originally I was just going to pickup a 9spd cassttee an new bars but the guy at the LBS offered me a nearly new mech an shifters at a price I couldnt really say no to. So snapped those up an ordered an expander ring an ended up with an 11-40T cassette, with a 2X10 front end 26-36T set of Ispec shifters which tidied up the bars nicely new mech an chain. Bars are some Easten Havens light an work nothing fancy needed there.

Comedy chain size, going by my maths its right an 4sruns fine. shifting is fine bar the 11 and 13T rings it skips past 13 every time even though the mechs lined up so probably a little cable tension tweak needed.

20151105_161014_zps9jyi3yyb.jpg

Bars before I put the shifters on, not chopped so 710, feels better than the 660's I had before

20151103_161412_zpsbluwir9p.jpg
  • step83
    Thought I may as well update this as a few bits have changed, the T mars dropper has three positions, the upper most was too high an the mid was far to low which made riding a bit interesting so ended up getting a reverb which is spot on the Tmars is now on my hard tail an is spot on for that.
    The hardtail also needed some brakes so I wiped the Deores off this an onto that an upgraded to some M675 SLX's the bigger piston is noticeable on decents I can say that for certain.

Been having all manner of issues over winter with crud getting stuck in the back of the rear mech literally jamming it like so.
    20160331_175822_zpsil7h6meo.jpg

Solved it by just binning off the mech an going with a 32T single ring up front, also over winter I wasnt happy with the Chunky monkey up front it would just not shed the sand mud combo so ive put a magic mary up front now see how that behaves.

Lastly picked up some DMR vaults I clattered a stone cracking the old Wellgos. for you weight weenies out there last weighed in at 13.49Kg/29.7Lbs couldnt be bothered to weigh it after I was hungry! Anywho photo of how it stands now

20160402_181433_zps3tt038re.jpg
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    You got your self a sorted ride! No nonses build and all you need, Well done :!:
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • step83
    Herdwick wrote:
    You got your self a sorted ride! No nonses build and all you need, Well done :!:

Thanks its good to ride, well for me at least its capable of more than I am anyway I know that much!

I was messing about with it Sunday ive been having issues with play in the headset I couldnt fathom after changing two 5mm metal spacers for a 10mm carbon one. Turned out of all things to be the headset cap was in contact with the steerer. Im guessing there was a slight difference in the stack height then. Swapped the cap for a shallower one, wobble gone.

Also weighed it now down to 13.2Kg/29.1Lbs Not overly worried on the weight of this but shows the difference loosing a ring mech an shifter makes, which is not much as it turns out. Transplanted the parts to the Scandal which makes the ride to work less hassle.

Summer im going to strip it down an check all the bearings, cant see any play but the serfuces could do with a clean up which will be easier with them off the bike.
    Paint works chipped quite badly in places so may just get the frame stripped an see about popping a dent from a roof rack related incident :s
  • step83
    Little update not long finished building a new wheelset, old rims were fine just too narrow for the tyres. Also gave me an excuse for new hubs, so

Mavic EN423 rims (23mm ID)
    Hope Pro 4 hubs
    DT Competition Black spokes 260mm/262mm and 14mm brass nipples

IMG_2471_zpsono2vzpc.jpg

Just waiting on some titanium rotor bolts the old ones got pretty chewed getting them off.