New grips

kyle17290
kyle17290 Posts: 261
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
After some new grips, preferably lock on. I have looked at the hope lock ons hey seem to feel ok but heard some reviews saying they arent much cop when it gets wet. Any one with any experience witht he hopes? Any other alternatives that are both decent in both wet and dry?

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    ODI Ruffians are my favourites. Grippy,comfortable and hard wearing. What more could you want?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why don't you just ride in the wet and see?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kyle17290
    Well cooldad that would mean paying 25 quid to find out.
  • Renthal Kevlar lock on's.

They are the nicest grip I've ever ridden with. Very grippy no matter what the conditions, comfortable and extremely hard wearing.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    Grips are much like saddles, entirely down to personal preference. What might be comfortable for some will feel awful for others. I for instance like slim, knurled and hard compound, like Funn's Combats, but the guys I ride with prefer thicker, softer grips. Like I say, we can't tell you what you'll find comfortable
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • kyle17290
    I understand that personal preference will come into it however all im asking for is a compound that works in both wet and dry conditions. Once i have a few suggestions I can discount the ones i feel arent suitable to my preferences.
  • cooldad
    Sorry I read it that you already had them.

For me, cheap Superstar grips. Comfy, wear pretty quickly but refills are £5.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kyle17290
    No bother mate, cheers all for the suggestions.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I had some Chromag ones with a kind of dimpled pattern - average (but support your local company and all that). Running ODI's with the waffle pattern and they seem a perfect blend of padding, grip and all weather capability.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • codfather
    codfather Posts: 359
    +1 for the Superstar/Uberbike, which I'm given to understand are basically identical. Grippy pattern, especially the half waffles, cheap, two lockrings and a million different choices of colour combination.
    Only caveat as mentioned is the soft rubber, which is not to my taste and does wear quite quickly, but I'd definitely have another pair.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • cooldad
    I like soft grips. They go with my soft girly hands.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Are we talking about grips with bare hands or grips with gloves? Surely gloves will add some absorption and depending on contact point material offer better grip than skin.

Would like to try some Renthel grips.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am using Superstar Silicone Lock ons at the moment and they are very comfy and grip in the wet/dry using gloves or bare handed. Dont know how long they last but 3 months in and they seem to be lasting well.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/silicone-lockon-grips.htm
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • kyle17290
    The origional idea of hopes was for the same idea, im from skipton so barnoldswick is about 10 minutes away. Got plenty to go on now so cheers for all the suggestions.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Hope are very comfy (I've just replaced Superstar XLs with them) and grip well when either wet or dry.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I have ODI Troy Lee's, and so far they've been brilliant on hot and cold days, damp and dry conditions. I've not used them in the pouring rain yet to be fair.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I need some new grips as my stock thin rubber ones are starting to squirm around a bit and I always found them to be a bit thin and harsh.

Been reading about esi grips which sound quite good as I don't really like the sound of lock on grips with hard metal ends.. Any opinions on these?

Cheers
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I've got small hands so grips have been a bain in my fingers - been using ergon slim's with great results.
  • I
    Been reading about esi grips which sound quite good as I don't really like the sound of lock on grips with hard metal ends.. Any opinions on these?

What is it about the lock ons that you don't like the sound of?
  • stubs
    I need some new grips as my stock thin rubber ones are starting to squirm around a bit and I always found them to be a bit thin and harsh.

Cheers

http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Grips/Pivot/Pivot-Lock-Grips

You can get lock ons with only one lockring Pivot do some nice ones I have them on my Trek 29er
    0c0b9e1a-a1ea-48ad-b582-a28c00ce586e_800x800.jpg
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mattyfez
    The hard end piece.. I like to rest my hands over the ends sometimes when tired, figured a solid end would make that uncomfortable.
  • mattyfez
    Those pivot ones look ok, how much are they, I can't seem to see the price on the mobile site.

What's the grip compound like, hard, soft, thick thin etc?
  • stubs
    Those pivot ones look ok, how much are they, I can't seem to see the price on the mobile site.

What's the grip compound like, hard, soft, thick thin etc?

I paid £14.95 iirc but they are now £16.99. They are slightly thinner than ODI and Superstar grips, they are softer and tackier than Superstar and about the same as ODI but wear differently whereas SS just go shiny and wear away and ODI seem fine till the rubber just crumbles away during a ride the Pivots pattern has peeled off and underneath its still grippy.