Carbon wheels vs alloy wheels

bradsbeard
bradsbeard Posts: 210
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Looking for an upgrade on my Giant Defy Pro 0.

The Wheelset currently ob the bike are Giant SL0 which are alloy with DT Swiss hubs. 20\24 spoke. Weight is 1750g not to shabby

Ive been looking at carbon hops such as Reynolds Assaults SLG or DT Swiss Spline 38.

I've never in my cycling life owned a set of carbon hoops so I'm wondering are they really worth the investment? Lighter weight yes but on the road do you notice them?

I have Schwalbe One 25mm with latex tubes which I run at 90 front 95 rear. I do get a lovely ride from the wheels but they lack the zing I've had with previous lightweight wheels.

Opinions?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What's your weight and what are your normal riding conditions?

I have zondas and 50mm clinchers and used to have handbuilts and they're all about the same
    speed. The carbon wheels do make a lovely whooshing sound and feel like they hold speed better but I do generally cruise around at 20-22mph so hardly pushing that fast.

If you have the money, do it, as they will put a smile on your face but don't expect strava to start going crazy!!
  • I'm looking at aero gains and comfort. Will run the 25mm and thinking of taking the tubeless route once the new Schwalbe One Pro are released.

I ride the normal shite roads around Kent. Pot hole central and undulating terrain.
  • I'm looking at aero gains and comfort.

I suggest this as an aero gain (currently 2 x 1 at Morrisons)
    26243011_0_640x640.jpg

on this for comfort

mimi_2powblue_productpage_carousel_1_desktop.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Wheels don't really give you 'comfort' - tyres and inflation pressure usually takes care of that.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I bought a set of Carbon wheels, just didn't get on with the lack of feel on braking.
  • Anonymous
    On occasion the road points upwards
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    It is hard to tell when riding sometimes the difference in pace between a set of zonda's say and a set of aero wheels. There is a difference it is real but not huge. It is another small gain which by itself is not important but when added to all the other gains to be had becomes more significant.

The only way you are going to improve ride comfort is by using a wider rim. Plenty of carbon rims offer that now. A 38mm deep carbon clincher is a waster of time. Not much more aero dynamic than a set of zone or durable ace c24's so you might as well go the whole hog on a set of wide 50th ish deep wheels. At least then you will have an aero gain however small.

They won't make riding more enjoyable and the braking issue can be solved by the right pads unless the brake track resins used are rubbish. There are a few rims out there that brake very well with the right pads.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I'm looking at aero gains and comfort.

I suggest this as an aero gain (currently 2 x 1 at Morrisons)
    26243011_0_640x640.jpg

on this for comfort

mimi_2powblue_productpage_carousel_1_desktop.jpg

Best not say anything if it isn't constructive, always comes across the wrong way and reflects badly on the poster, chapeau for the effort though and not mentioning the h word.
  • A common dilema I think. I was in the same boat last year. Against some great advice from the wheel gurus on this forum, I bought some 50mm carbon hoops 2nd hand. I couldn't resist them,I had to "scratch" the itch, they were less than half the retail price and had done less than 200miles, with as new Michilin Pro 4 23mm tires on.
    They look great on the bike, and the guys I ride with comment on the great sound they make.
    Faster? mmmm..... they do seem to (not very scientific I know),to give me a a slightly higher than average speed when I am riding alone doing fast flattish training rides.
    They are wider than the Mavic Ksyrium Elites I rode before, and this gives a much smoother ride.
    All in all very good, I am glad i bought them, BUT, if I had the choice again(I am saving for a new pair at the moment) I would have bought some alloy handbuilts .......some nice wide alloy rims, with White Industry hubs etc. I think they would have been better suited to the type of riding I mostly do, in a group and on hilly roads.
    I think the superior braking especially in the wet is worth more to me than the tiny bit of extra speed on the flat.
    Just my opinion, I know different people have different criteria, and what suits one, wont suit another.
    Also, before you splash the large wad of cash on expensive carbon wheels make sure they are serviceable, and you can get spares in a reasonable amount of time if you need them.
  • I think it really depends on what kind of riding you're planning to do.
    If you're doing lots of TTs or racing, then carbon tubulars are probably the way forward- I wouldn't go for an alloy braking surface due to the massive weight addition which isn't too helpful when racing.

For everything else I use shallow alloy box rims- Open Pro are my favourite trade off at the moment for weight and durability, but I would consider a pair of Dura Ace C24s for nice general riding or possibly races in more grotty conditions.
    I personally find a light rim/ tyre combo makes much more of a difference in the feel of the bike than aero wheels, and when riding in groups you want a light rim to help with the little accelerations. It also feels nice when riding by yourself pulling away from junctions or powering over hills/ little rises. Even in a race you'll see no real advantage from a deep wheel unless you plan to spend most of the race off the front (which is a legitimate strategy).

If you do live in a pan flat area or are terrified of the thought of puncturing a tub whilst racing (it's not that common) then maybe carbon/ alloy clinchers could be justified, but for most cases I wouldn't think it's worth the expense- deep wheels are more of a 'fashion statement' for most riders.

Good luck!
  • Thanks to those with constructive comments.

Braking isn't a consideration as the bike runs dissc.

Another ride today on the Giant SL0 (30mm depth) with 25mm Schwalbe One at 95 rear 90 front latex tubes. This setup does run nice far better than the stock Giant 25mm with Conti Supersonic tubes. I'm not looking for a jump in speed with carbons but if they cut through the air easier all the better. I'm thinking with wider rims I could run 28s. I don't want spend £1k or so and then think 'is that it?' with the carbons hence the question.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I don't want spend £1k or so and then think 'is that it?' with the carbons hence the question.

my opinion? Go spend the money on some top end bike clothing or perhaps a nice weekend away somewhere with you and your partner. Would be money better spent.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322

Even then heavy wheels HOLD the speed better.
  • Anonymous
    I would say that if you can afford it, then scratch the itch so you are not left wondering. Given that, at the end of the day, we ride for fun, deep section wheels do put a smile on your face.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148

Even then heavy wheels HOLD the speed better.

they will also take longer to accelerate to any given speed, so, on the flat, heavier is a disadvantage

going up any climb, for a given power output, lighter is always faster, if a wheel adds x% system mass then you'll burn x% more energy to raise that system by a given amount, and be correspondingly slower, heavier is a disadvantage

the only time heavier is an advantage is going downhill, but as speed increases, aerodynamic drag reduces the margin vs. a lighter system as the impact is non-linear, so for a climb/descent of the same mountain road, the lighter system will win, overall, heavier is a disadvantage
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    I don't want spend £1k or so and then think 'is that it?' with the carbons hence the question.

my opinion? Go spend the money on some top end bike clothing or perhaps a nice weekend away somewhere with you and your partner. Would be money better spent.

Nope, don't do this, high end clothing is even more over rated than carbon wheels.

Get the wheels!! Life is short
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • Well, having the disk brakes does add more options. For example you could contemplate having a pair built with cheap ish carbon clincher rims from Farsport or even giantex if you're lucky, as you won't have to worry so much about catastrophic rim failure from hot braking tracks. They do cost much less than Reynolds but get you most of the way there. How durable they'll be though is anyone's guess, although any carbon will get scuffed with regular use and you can re-build around new hubs if needed.

I would probably go for wide 38mm with as many spokes as you can get, that way you get most of the aero benefits as well as a very light rim- my 38mm tubs are by fare the lightest wheels I own! I would probably leave them at home on really bad days though to save unsightly scratches.
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017

Nope, don't do this, high end clothing is even more over rated than carbon wheels.

Nah, dont agree. A high quality jacket, bib tights and good gloves etc. to keep the OP riding through winter in comfort would be far more useful than a pair of blingy wheels.

If he has this stuff already, perhaps a riding holiday or summer Sportive in the Alps would be a good option. something that would be remembered for a long time.

• Nope, don't do this, high end clothing is even more over rated than carbon wheels.

Nah, dont agree. A high quality jacket, bib tights and good gloves etc. to keep the OP riding through winter in comfort would be far more useful than a pair of blingy wheels.

If he has this stuff already, perhaps a riding holiday or summer Sportive in the Alps would be a good option. something that would be remembered for a long time.

LOL already sorted for all.

Plumped for Alu wheelset.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I had the same dilema over the summer.
    I ended up getting Fulcrum Racing Zero alloy clinchers and I've not regretted it. I weighed them (yes I know) and mine are lighter than the claimed weight as well - which surprised me a bit.