Arm and leg warmers

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
I have a few questions about leg and arm warmers. I've bought a couple of bib shorts already so need something to warm up my arms and legs when it's a bit cold out there.

Firstly, I have short arms and legs but my arms and legs are rather stocky. Hence, normal short sizes are likely to be way too tight and medium or long are going to be too long.

Hence, are there any brands out there who do arm and leg warmers that are very stretchy that would not be too tight around stocky, but short, arms and legs?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    They're all pretty stretchy - that's the point of them. Nobody is going to be able to give you an exact answer.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    They're all pretty stretchy - that's the point of them. Nobody is going to be able to give you an exact answer.

I expect someone will tell him what he needs, there are bound to be other people on here who have stocky arms and legs who have had problems with some items but found others that work. Which is what the guy is fishing for here.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I can tell you that the Castelli Nanoflex arm warmers are not stretchy, but the Rapha ones (not the merino ones, the other ones they stock) are.

Realistically, you're probably going to have to try a few pairs on and see which suit.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,148
    for warmers, sizes tend to reflect bulk rather than height, there's little difference in length from one size to the next

so look at size guides, they'll give you all the info you need

for instance, look at the size guide for these...
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-nanoflex-water-resistant-knee-warmers-white/
    ...it's based on weight (castelli stuff tends to be race cut, so if you're way over the upper weight it's probably not a good option for you)

or these...
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-regulate-warm-knee-warmers/
    ...they give cuff measurements

many online retailers are good about returns, so when you receive them, don't remove tags or destroy packing, slip the warmers on to check fit, if it's wrong then you can always swap them for another size and you'll only be out of pocket for postage
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rumbataz
    Thanks all - I'll check the size guides out. Reading reviews of the Castelli ones I get the impression they're not too stretchy. Will look into the dhb and Rapha ones.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    I've used DHB Roubaix arm and leg warmers for the last 4 years with no problems. When I first got them I was 110kg and just finishing up as a rugby prop forward with the associated big thighs. I'm now 25kg lighter and it's only now that the leg warmers are starting to feel a bit loose. The arm wRmers still fit just fine even though I lost a lot of upper body bulk. Based on my experience the DHB ones are stretchy enough
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    How about putting the leg warmer money towards a pair of bib tights?
    Arm warmers may be useful if you intend to take them off mid ride, but would you do that with leg warmers?

Bib tights will be warmer up top than your current bib shorts probably.
    They feel much nicer (without the tight grip around your thigh) and you are not wearing out/trashing your bib shorts through the winter.

Arm warmers are a faff and uncomfortable too IMO, but useful if intention is to take them off mid ride.
  • rumbataz
    How about putting the leg warmer money towards a pair of bib tights?

This is what I've just ended up doing. I've bought dhb thermal bib tights (and a dhb merino base and jersey). Decent arm/leg warmers actually cost more than the bib tights when I started looking into this!

I think, as you've said, I'll save my bib shorts for the warmer months and just wear the bib tights for the next few months.
  • I would recommend the new Parentini K dry, water repellent ones 30£ , though they are too warm for spring use, proper arm and leg warmers.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Trouble with arm warmers is the more water-resistant and warmer they are the less stretchy they'll be (nanoflex as you say don't stretch much and are small sized to start with, sportful no rain are a bit better but the XL is still pretty tight on my arms). You could maybe look at Specialized offerings, they're usually a generous fit.
    As for leg warmers, I prefer them over bib tights, no more hassle and means you can just invest in a few pairs of high quality bib shorts and use them in winter as well.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Endura merino are very stretchy (but not waterproof); so are some of the DHB (Wiggle) offerings.
  • I have DHB light and the old DHB Roubaix (now DHB Warm) arm and leg warmers. The Warm ones have a bit of stretch, but they'll probably feel too compressive if your arms are too big.

The Light ones are thin lycra warmers, no fleece on the inside and I find them great in the sort of weather we are having at the moment, where you don't want exposed skin but don't need something too thermal which makes you sweat. They are very stretchy compared to the Warm ones.

My other pair of arm warmers are from www.torm.cc, they are warm but also have a lot of stretch in them.

Don't forget, Wiggle have free returns, so you could try a few pairs on for size and return the ones you don't like. Or try your LBS, which I'm sure would be happy to help, although they usually only stock 1 or 2 clothing brands so you won't get much choice.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Thanks all - I'll check the size guides out. Reading reviews of the Castelli ones I get the impression they're not too stretchy. Will look into the dhb and Rapha ones.

It's the Castelli Nanoflex that are tight. Their other versions of arm and leg warmers have similar give to all other makes. But, Nanoflex are manufactured to help keep you relatively dry in a sudden shower hence the tight weave and use of non-stretch fibres.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Trouble with arm warmers is the more water-resistant and warmer they are the less stretchy they'll be (nanoflex as you say don't stretch much and are small sized to start with, sportful no rain are a bit better but the XL is still pretty tight on my arms). You could maybe look at Specialized offerings, they're usually a generous fit.
    As for leg warmers, I prefer them over bib tights, no more hassle and means you can just invest in a few pairs of high quality bib shorts and use them in winter as well.

Parentini K dry ones are soft and normal finish. they are very stretch and wear like normal thermal ones.
    I was told Nanoflex treatment no longer legal in EU due to material used!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Trouble with arm warmers is the more water-resistant and warmer they are the less stretchy they'll be (nanoflex as you say don't stretch much and are small sized to start with, sportful no rain are a bit better but the XL is still pretty tight on my arms). You could maybe look at Specialized offerings, they're usually a generous fit.

Parentini K dry ones are soft and normal finish. they are very stretch and wear like normal thermal ones.

They're still on sale everywhere. Who told you that?
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Trouble with arm warmers is the more water-resistant and warmer they are the less stretchy they'll be (nanoflex as you say don't stretch much and are small sized to start with, sportful no rain are a bit better but the XL is still pretty tight on my arms). You could maybe look at Specialized offerings, they're usually a generous fit.

They're still on sale everywhere. Who told you that?

I know they are, see press release by Gore[Castelli fabric supplier] denying the use of PFOS and PFOA[chemical treatment], the proccedure has changed as i believe:

"PFOS and PFOA
    The European Union has banned the use of PFOS, which is now regulated by REACH,
    the European Community Regulation on chemicals and their safe use. REACH is also
    assessing a future restriction of the use of PFOA on the suggestion of the Federal
    Environmental Agency (Umweltbundesamt UBA). In the United States, the
    Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has initiated a voluntary industry phase-out
    of PFOA. "
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    "Gore never used PFOS and was one of the first in its industry to look for alternatives and find replacements for PFOA and move to more environmentally friendly DWR chemistries."

"PFOS are not used at any stage in Gore's supply chain. We require that PFOS are
    absent from all the raw materials that we purchase, and thus from our products.
    In terms of PFOA, Gore's products are not a significant source of the PFOA found in
    the environment because we have been very effective in limiting potential emissions
    to water and air in our operations. In 2011, we stopped using PFOA related DWR
    treatments in our manufacturing of consumer fabrics in favor of more
    environmentally friendly alternatives. By the end of 2013 we will be one of the first
    companies to have eliminated PFOA from all the raw materials we purchase for
    fabrics manufacture."

So just how do you conclude that Nanoflex uses these?
  • "Gore never used PFOS and was one of the first in its industry to look for alternatives and find replacements for PFOA and move to more environmentally friendly DWR chemistries."

"PFOS are not used at any stage in Gore's supply chain. We require that PFOS are
    absent from all the raw materials that we purchase, and thus from our products.
    In terms of PFOA, Gore's products are not a significant source of the PFOA found in
    the environment because we have been very effective in limiting potential emissions
    to water and air in our operations. In 2011, we stopped using PFOA related DWR
    treatments in our manufacturing of consumer fabrics in favor of more
    environmentally friendly alternatives. By the end of 2013 we will be one of the first
    companies to have eliminated PFOA from all the raw materials we purchase for
    fabrics manufacture."

So just how do you conclude that Nanoflex uses these?

I did my research. you seems offended by this!!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    What research - please show it?

Not offended, its just that you say nanoflex has been banned and a google search shows up nothing, then you say that Gore supply the nanoflex material and to look at their press release, which I did and it says they never used any of those banned materials. I am simply confused because you have made a unique claim which seems at odds with the evidence you presented and the fact it is still on sale and you presented nothing to actually back your claim up (yet).

Quite happy to be convinced if you are right - what was your research that led to the conclusion, please share it!
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    I have DHB light and the old DHB Roubaix (now DHB Warm) arm and leg warmers. The Warm ones have a bit of stretch, but they'll probably feel too compressive if your arms are too big.

The Light ones are thin lycra warmers, no fleece on the inside and I find them great in the sort of weather we are having at the moment, where you don't want exposed skin but don't need something too thermal which makes you sweat. They are very stretchy compared to the Warm ones.

My other pair of arm warmers are from http://www.torm.cc, they are warm but also have a lot of stretch in them.

Don't forget, Wiggle have free returns, so you could try a few pairs on for size and return the ones you don't like. Or try your LBS, which I'm sure would be happy to help, although they usually only stock 1 or 2 clothing brands so you won't get much choice.
    I'll be doing them with a SportWool panel next year to enhance the breath-ability of them !