Light small 'traditional' XC frame

trek_dan
trek_dan Posts: 1,366
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,
Mrs TD is currently riding an old GT I bought for her last year and is getting keen and pretty fast so its time for an upgrade. We'll be doing a few MTB sportives and weekend trips away next year and if I can convince her she might have a bash at some racing. We've done some window shopping and I've not exactly been blown away by the quality of new MTB's we can get for sub £600, most have crappy Suntour forks on and weigh somewhere circa 14kg which isn't a huge improvement on what shes riding now. The exception has been the BTwin Rafal 740 which is insanely good value but *sighs* she doesn't like the colour :roll:

So I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to build her a 26" wheeled light XC bike with her budget and I'll be donating some Reba SL's I've got lieing around and a few other parts. All I need is a frame, however I'm struggling to find anything that fits the following criteria;
XC focused, short head tube
26" wheels, 9qr and either light steel or alloy
Standard 1 1/8 non-tapered headtube so I can reuse the Reba's
Needs to be 14" frame or similar (she's 5' 4" and currently rides a 14" mens frame)
Preferably available in colours (not black)

Any suggestions for new? Or may consider older second hand bikes I could look out for on Ebay.