Custom Build Trail Bike - Nuke Proof Mega TR

chrisrobs
chrisrobs Posts: 135
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
Ive been thinking about buying a bird aeris or kona process but I'm wanting to be really geeky and build a bike up from scratch myself.

CRC are selling off 2014 Nuke Mega TR 27.5 frames for £650 or £740 with their own Oklo dropper. This seems good value to me and it has a traditional threaded BB which I really want. Has anyone got one and can you give me some feedback and thoughts on your experience with it please? How do they fair up on the climbs? Do the frames hold up and stay in tact. I.e is the paintwork still ok?

Im going for the following build:

Pike RC 150mm fork (360 off merlin)
Mavic crossroc wheels (230 off bike discount)
Maxxis HR2/ardent tyres
XT Brakes
XT 1 x 11 drive train
Raceface finishing kit

Should come in at £1900 which seems good value to me.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had one for a year and it's great value but it has it's faults.
    The paintwork is fragile and needs protecting. The frame is pretty much bomb proof, I certainly didn't give it an easy time and it was solid. It climbs very well but descending is limited by the terrible Monarch shock which is bone shakingly harsh. I replaced my shock with a Cane Creek Inline which transformed the ride but it's still not perfect. The suspension has a really steep ramp up at the bottom of its travel.
    I ended up replacing the frame with my current Transition Scout which is a very similar style of bike but rides a lot better. The Kona Process 134 frame also rides very well.
    I believe the Pike RC on Merlin is the dual position version which is best avoided. The solo air model is much better. I just got a Pike RCT3 solo air from Rose Bikes for under £500