What have you run over lately?

bbrap
bbrap Posts: 610
edited October 2015 in The bottom bracket
Was out with cycling buddy, me in front, him behind. A shrew shot out of the undergrowth and I got his (or her) nose with my back wheel. It then ran back into the verge (so I must've just clipped it). Further down the road a squirrel ran between my wheels (missed it that time), then another squirrel (quite a young one from the look of it) fell out of a tree into the road in front of us. What is it with wildlife at this time of year, they all seem to go crazy. And don't talk to me about pheasants, they must be the dumbest birds on the planet, trouble is when they finally decide to take off rather than try to outrun the bike they always seem to crap everywhere (I've been got a couple of times with that one). Hurrumph
Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
Van Raam 'O' Pair
Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Some very smooth, dry, tarmac :D

I had a bag of potatoes go through my front wheel once, I went over the bars before collecting up the sliced spuds for lunch.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • I ran over a squirrel in my truck a few weeks ago, I felt it bounce off the underside and then watched it carry on over the road in the rear view mirror.

Squirrels are awesome!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nothing, thankfully, but having an increasing number of near misses now my evening rides are properly dark. Last night it was a young badger decided to cross the road about 5 metres in front of me, and a muntjac changed it's mind about 15 times before deciding to dive through the hedge rather than my front wheel.

It's the bigger deer that freak me out though. Sometimes encounter 10-20 of them crossing the road from field to woodland. They look and sound about the size and weight of an upright piano. With antlers. Suspect there's scope for me becoming the one that's being run over...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    squirrels are dangerous, aside from their rat like propensities for ripping open roadside rubbish bags and strewing the contents over the surrounding area, they often suffer from indecision in the face of an oncoming bike

this can lead to them ending up wedged in the fork and/or tangled in the remains of the front wheel, with a faceplant for the rider, people have been badly injured by these vermin, time to wipe them out, with lasers
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    I nearly ran over a Hereford bull... well.

I was descending at a rate of knots and there were heffers on the road. They moved on hearing me shout lots and as they cleared a young Hereford bull stood there facing me with big blue saucer eyes. Initially I thought I was going to be a matador crossed with a cyclist but quickly realised he was petrified. His flight mode kicked in and he made the turn away from me. This was fine except 'Ereford's are rather 'long vehicles' and I nearly went splat into his back end as he turned.
    I closed my eyes for a moment, fully expecting to collide with hairy beef but thankfully bull and I never physically met.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!