Thoughts welcome - which version to go for

jasonbrim
jasonbrim Posts: 105
edited December 2015 in Cyclocross
Hi all, I am looking at getting a new CX bike, and have narrowed it down to two options (so please don't suggest other bikes - it is more about which of these to go for).

2014 Specialized Crux Carbon Expert Disc
2016 Specialized Crux Carbon Elite Disc X1

The differences are as follows:
Wheels/dropouts: 2014 version has QR dropouts, 2016 version has through axles
Chainset: 2014 version has a SRAM Red double chainset, 2016 has a SRAM Rival one-by chainset

Otherwise, the bikes are fairly similar. I can get both of them in my size, but can get the 2014 version for a fair bit less than the 2016 version. I just wonder if it would be better to go for the newer bike, because of the through axles and one-by chainset (it still has a braze-on derailleur mount though). Are through axles the way forward, or are QR dropouts just as good (how will wheel choice look in the future?)? I can always change the 2014 version to have one chainring, so the one-by isn't too much of an issue.

Which would you go for?

FYI, the 2014 is white (until it gets muddy), and the 2016 is blue and yellow. I prefer the 2014, and the price leans me more towards that option, and the difference could always go towards new wheels eventually. Also, the brakes on the 2014 bike have been replaced following the SRAM recall, so that isn't an issue.

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Go for the 14 version if its significantly cheaper. I don't see QR's going totally out of fashion anytime soon. If you really wanted to go 1x on it you could probably sell the existing Red stuff on Ebay replace with an X9 MTB mech and a thick/thin ring and come out in profit.
  • jasonbrim
    jasonbrim Posts: 105
    Go for the 14 version if its significantly cheaper. I don't see QR's going totally out of fashion anytime soon. If you really wanted to go 1x on it you could probably sell the existing Red stuff on Ebay replace with an X9 MTB mech and a thick/thin ring and come out in profit.

Thanks Dan - that was what I wanted to know. And I guess with road bikes getting discs as well, QR/disc wheelsets will keep going strong (or get stronger I guess).

Could I not simply just change to a single ring at the front, or does the SRAM Red not have the same clutching mechanism the X1 stuff has?

One other thing, the rear brake is mounted on the back of the seat stay on the 14 version, but in the triangle on the 16 version. I know inside the triangle is meant to be better, but will I really notice a difference in CX? (I guess in DH it makes a difference...)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Plenty people say a clutch mech isn't needed with a thick/thin ring but last thing you want is to drop a chain, particularly on a carbon frame. Plus you'll probably get more for the red mech than it would cost for say an X9 MTB mech.

Can't help on the discs as I still run canti's but most frame designs still use seat stay mounts so surely can't be that much of an issue.
  • bobley
    bobley Posts: 60
    I dont think the overall geo on the crux has ever changed significantly so they'll all feel similar to ride.

If you can find a clean 2014 then go for it. My 2016 (frameset X1 build) is great but I looked really hard (last month) to try and find a 2015 (orange) frameset as the new 2016 thru axle and SCS offset cassette made it a hassle to modify my old wheels to suit.

We also run an old 2012 Crux elite and we don't have any issues with Ultegra 6800 mech paired with a CX1 BB30 crank. You'll be able to sell a Red crankset for more than a Force CX1 costs new anyway I reckon and BB30 cranks aren't hard to find. We used to use an FSA SLK Triple with a single middle ring fitted and a bash on the outer.