Forum home Road cycling forum Cyclocross

Chainring shifting technique....

CavsCavs Posts: 176
edited October 2015 in Cyclocross
Technique advice appreciated here...

Powering along a flat section at speed, big chainring, at the front of a group of riders...

See an incline coming up - know I'll need to shift into small chainring to tackle the ramp.

However, don't want to lose any power/momentum, so need an effective shifting technique.

I find myself simultaneously shifting to the small chainring, and rapidly shifting through the rear cassette to maintain a strong power output. However - it feels clunky and I lose a stroke or two of power...

What better shifting technique should I be employing please for this scenario?

• Chris JamesChris James Posts: 1,040
    I'm not sure it is possible to change gear in any way other than you have described.

You could consider a single chain ring and then your problem is solved for you!
  • t4tomot4tomo Posts: 2,643
    yep all about timing of the Shimano double squeeze. a compact makes in more of an issue, but its all about the timing of your change. I suspect your may have changed slightly early, if you we still on the flat section, leave it to you hit the hill an need a lower ratio as it makes less messing around on the rear change, i.e changing on flat you need to find same ratio on small ring rather than a lower one.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • fwgxfwgx Posts: 114
    I always shift into a harder gear at the back first and as soon as I've done that shift into the small ring at the front. There's maybe half a second between the two. Sometimes I'll shift up two before changing the front chain ring. It varies based on the ratio of the chain rings. 36/46 needs less shifts at the back than a 34/50.

The other way around I shift from the small chainring to the big one and then knock it down a cog or two at the back straight after. This way you can switch chainrings whilst effectively shifting only one cog in terms of difficulty pedaling.