Washer behind freehub?

skern
skern Posts: 10
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Shimano m475 rear hub. Behind the freehub there is a washer. Here's a diagram, it's part 14.

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FH/EV-FH-M475-2198A_v1_m56577569830728374.pdf

Is this washer also a spacer? The reason I ask is today I converted my 8 speed bike (apart from a 9 speed Deore chainset) into full 9 speed. After some fettling and frustration I decided that the cassette must be too far out from the wheel. So I took the freehub off and replaced it without the washer. Did I do right?

It seems to have improved things a lot. The front derailer cage doesn't foul up the chain like before, I'm just wondering if the washer has to be there for some reason, and I should look elsewhere to solve the problem.

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The washer is there for a reason, put it back and learn to adjust your gears instead of screwing stuff up!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as above it is there for a reason. put it back and set up your gears.

the width of the 8 and 9 spd cassettes is exactly the same you just change cassettes,chain and the RH shifter to the required speed.

and then set it all up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • skern
    Thanks gents. I've replaced derailers and adjusted gears a few times and never had a problem, but I will do as you say.

But before I do there's something else I should ask you. As well as changing to 9 speed, the freehub in question is also a new replacement because the original was slipping. In fact I just replaced all the internals: axle, bearings, cones, etc.

My back wheel is 32 spoke. I bought a 36 spoke hub to pinch the internals out of. Is there any difference between the 32 spoke and 36 spoke versions of the m475 - apart from the hole count, obviously!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no difference.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • skern
    Thanks again nicklouse.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Yeh they are the same unless going 10 or 11 speed.