Which headset will fit??

Mattrowling
Mattrowling Posts: 12
edited October 2015 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking of getting these forks for the mtb I'm building:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/64941/RockShox_30_Gold_TK_Solo_Air_Taper_650b_2016_Forks_RS8630002?gclid=CjwKEAjwkK6wBRCcoK_tiOT-zFASJAC7RAriWQ0stLGYW3OHe_V8NTTZOt9uGpQz4tGanQTE1ippfhoCkYvw_wcB

But which headset will I need to fit? I'm confused as to what will work, and what won't

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    We you are missing some info.

Like the frame.m

They might not even fit.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Headset has to fit the frame and the fork. Question error.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Sorry! I'm trying to work it all out haha. I'm building my own bike in the evenings and I haven't done this before. The frame I have is:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/orange-clockwork-120-275-frame-id89994.html

I've been told Mavic Crossone wheels aren't great? Are there better wheels around for the same price?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sorry! I'm trying to work it all out haha. I'm building my own bike in the evenings and I haven't done this before. The frame I have is:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/orange-clockwork-120-275-frame-id89994.html

I've been told Mavic Crossone wheels aren't great? Are there better wheels around for the same price?

The frame is not designed for a fork with a tapered steerer. But there is a semi integreated to external lower. Up that you could use but it will make the head angle slacker not not the best way to go on a new build.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks Nick. Like I say I'm not really sure what will work, and what won't hence coming on here for help and advice. So the frame will only suit a straight steerer? Best I start looking for new forks then.

Can I use threadless intergrated headsets? Or am I completely in the wrong area?
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The link you provided says the headsets you need - Headset : FPD 44mm. 1.1/8" Headset, Upper: ZS44/28.6, Lower: ZS44/30.

I suddenly understand why those frames are such a good price - no tapered headset seriously limits the choice of fork.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The link you provided says the headsets you need - Headset : FPD 44mm. 1.1/8" Headset, Upper: ZS44/28.6, Lower: ZS44/30.

I suddenly understand why those frames are such a good price - no tapered headset seriously limits the choice of fork.

That was going to be my next question! With the parallel steerer do I have to use a 120mm fork? or can I go smaller or bigger travel wise? looking around there really aren't too many option without spending 100s
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    What's happening above the steerer tube doesn't affect what's happening below the tube. In other words, if your using a flat bar, a raiser bar, great big chopper bars, straight stem, steep stem, a few spacers or lots of spacers you don't change the fork length below the steerer tube. In this case the frame is designed for a 120mm fork and that's what you should use. Going higher or lower would mess up the geometry and make the bike handle strangely (too twitchy if you go shorter, too sluggish if you go higher). How much height you have above the steerer tube is entirely down to personel preference and doesn't affect the handling of the bike.