Brompton - Single or 2 Speed

narbs
narbs Posts: 593
edited October 2015 in Commuting general
Moving house shortly so need to brace myself for not being able to cycle directly to the office.

Getting a Brompton through c2w and will be used for a flat ride to the station in the morning and then from Kings X to Westminster, again virtually pan-flat. Happily road a fixed in London for years so just wondering if there's anything in the Brompton gearing that makes the second gear a must-have.

Ta!

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    As you know from fixed, it's about getting the right gear for the riding you want. I assume this time it's sweat free riding. I had a 2 speed but the low gear was no use and the big gear was too big. Choose wisely.. looking back I'd consider 1 speed vs 3 speed.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    As you know from fixed, it's about getting the right gear for the riding you want. I assume this time it's sweat free riding. I had a 2 speed but the low gear was no use and the big gear was too big. Choose wisely.. looking back I'd consider 1 speed vs 3 speed.

Thanks Pete, hadn't considered 3 speed. I'll see if Evans or Condor will let me have a tryout.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm sure 3 speed bumps the price as it needs a different mechanism (internal hub)? You can get the 2 speed with gearing + or - certain percentages.

Maybe worth looking on http://www.bikecalc.com/ I just made the mistake of assuming I'd be wizzing around at 20mph on mine.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Moving house shortly so need to brace myself for not being able to cycle directly to the office.

Getting a Brompton through c2w and will be used for a flat ride to the station in the morning and then from Kings X to Westminster, again virtually pan-flat. Happily road a fixed in London for years so just wondering if there's anything in the Brompton gearing that makes the second gear a must-have.

Ta!
    Home --> Bedford station & St Pancras --> City here. Used to do it on a 48:17 Langster until train got too busy to guarantee a spot in the bike area.

(I.e. I have relevant experience. :))

I would say two speed is useful even just for acceleration, even if you have no hills at the home end of the journey. Stuff which would simply see you up and put of the saddle (away from lights etc) on the fixed is far better simply cogging down on the Brompton. The ergonomics and hinge of the Brompton just make me less keen on standing. I think it's far more mechanically simpathetic to go for power rather than torque as it were.

Also, Brompton generally has luggage on it which is less good for out of the saddle than a rucksack on a fixed.

The downside is negligible. A few hundred grammes, about 100 quid and very little additional mechanical complexity

Good luck with it.