Tube or tubeless?

2»

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Ok, so I picked my bike up on Tuesday with tubeless setup, took it out for an hour (just round the streets) to have a little play and to spin the sealant round inside. Next morning, front tyre was flat. Pumped it up nice and hard when I got home from work, took it out for spin along the riverside for a few hours (took an inner tube with me just in case) and it was fine. Though, this morning it's flat gain =(

Something they did wrong at the shop or something I've done wrong?

Their "set up" wasn't exactly thorough.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • y2keable
    y2keable Posts: 349
    Their "set up" wasn't exactly thorough.

Thought so. Back to the shop with the wheel. Better take both, if they did a rushed job with the front one, I'm willing to bet they did the same with the rear one.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
    [:D] Paying close attention to my mental hygeine. [:D]
  • lostboysaint
    Two things - one, make sure there's a good dollop of sealant in there; two, make sure they pump it up to 50psi or more to properly seat the bead and then do the slopping of the sealant around the tyre and bead before reducing the pressure to the right riding pressure.

That should make sure that the tyre is both seated and sealed properly.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • y2keable
    Two things - one, make sure there's a good dollop of sealant in there; two, make sure they pump it up to 50psi or more to properly seat the bead and then do the slopping of the sealant around the tyre and bead before reducing the pressure to the right riding pressure.

That should make sure that the tyre is both seated and sealed properly.

Good stuff. The tyres were rock hard when I walked out the shop with the bike so I'm guessing it was seated ok, maybe they were being stingy with the sealant.

I plan on going for a ride tomorrow around Kielder but stopping by the bike shop on the way to get it sorted. How long does the sealant need to set? It's about an hour in the car to Kielder from the bike shop, will that be long enough?
    <hr noshade size="1"><font face="Book Antiqua"><b><font color="black">Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, </font id="black"><font color="blue">get up. </font id="blue"><font color="black"> Crash, stay down. </font id="black"><font color="red"> Embrase pain.</font id="red"></b></font id="Book Antiqua">

<hr noshade size="1">
  • lostboysaint
    If the sealant is spread around properly it will seal (where necessary) instantly. Sounds like they weren't exactly sparing with the sealant.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • If the tyre is seated properly and there is an adequate amount of sealant in it it should be a case of getting the sealant to the leak. Take the wheel off, stick some pressure in it and shake and rotate the wheel in all directions to distribute the sealant. Leave for a bit, then repeat a couple of times. That should sort it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've got tubeless to seal at 3-4 psi (fat bike) - simply inflating them rock-hard will not fix a poor bead-rim fit IME. I fit and inflate the tyres without sealant with a track-pump - if it works then I'm pretty well assured trouble-free use. If it doesn't seal, then apply more rim tape. There are certain tyre and rim combos that don't work, but techniques like ghetto-tubeless (split tube) can make it work.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Frotka
    Frotka Posts: 4
    I've been riding razor sharp rock garden trails without a tube for the last 3 years. I've also carried with me spare tubes and still haven't used them. They are good. Read a little bit more about it and decide for yourself. Here is some article about it.
    http://www.mtbtreks.com/why-tubeless-tires-for-mountain-biking
  • y2keable
    Well I didn't take it to the shop, didn't have time. Instead, I just pumped it up really hard before putting the bike in the car, I figured it'll stay inflated at least for the duration of a few hours on the trails. I let a little air out once I got their (don't want to do trails with rock hard tyres) and it's been fine. Must have just needed a good, hard pumping (giggidy) and a thrashing on the trails.

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Sounds like a faulty valve maybe? that's a lot of air to loose overnight..
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • y2keable
    Sounds like a faulty valve maybe? that's a lot of air to loose overnight..

Well, it's not losing any now =)

<hr noshade size="1">
  • Well I didn't take it to the shop, didn't have time. Instead, I just pumped it up really hard before putting the bike in the car, I figured it'll stay inflated at least for the duration of a few hours on the trails. I let a little air out once I got their (don't want to do trails with rock hard tyres) and it's been fine. Must have just needed a good, hard pumping (giggidy) and a thrashing on the trails.

Good stuff! sometimes thats all it takes, fingers crossed its sorted now..
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Tubeless, just make sure you have the right diameter rim though.

I can say now having been over the bars a couple of times from exploding burping tyres - easton haven + Hans Dampf = fail.