New road bike time.... which to buy?!?

waynec2212
waynec2212 Posts: 4
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Okay so I have a choice of 3 bikes only to choose from. I will be using the bike for occasional commuting but will be mainly for long rides out on normal roads and keeping fit. My choices are as follows.
1. Fuji Aloha 1.0
2. Giant Defy 1
3. Boardman Team Carbon
All bikes are second hand but in great condition and are all a similar price. I'm thinking the Boardman buy do quite like the look of the Fuji with the triathlon bars. Any advice you can offer I would be grateful for. I'm new to this and have only ever had a crappy old Carrera Virtuoso so am looking to upgrade to something a little more decent. Thanks in advance.
Wayne the Newbie!!

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Tri-bars are not a good look unless you are either in or training for a triathlon.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Tri-bars are not a good look unless you are either in or training for a triathlon.
    Not a good look but what are yhey like to ride the roads with? Never tried them before so I may just be better off sticking with normal bars. Any advice on which bike I should go for? The boardman is lighter but the the giant feels more sturdy.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Get the Boardman.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Boardman or Giant for normal road riding.

The Fuji will have triathlon or TT geometry which will not be the most comfortable for long days in the saddle, plus handling wont be as good as the 2 others.

Also if you ride in groups or with anyone apart from yourself riding in the tri bars will be dangerous, I know if I rocked up on my clubs weekend run on a TT bike and went near the tri bars I wouldn't be allowed to continue ride.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • I was of the same mind about the tri bars so the Fuji is out, any sound advice on the giant or Boardman, the Boardman has advantage of a carbon frame but I still don't think there's that much difference.