Tubeless tyres that have been left for a while

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited October 2015 in MTB workshop & tech
I've not used my MTB for a year or so. It had a cheapo conversion to tubeless tyres. With the gunk squirted in etc.

As the bike has sat the tyres have gone flat. I presume the gunk has dried out. Now when I pump up the tyres you can just hear them hiss and go flat.

What is the best way to sort this? Do I just need to buy some more gunk to squirt in?

Comments

• Yes. Just clean out the old stuff and redo
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or if you are lazy, just add more goo, but they may be out of balance if you have a lump of solid goo in there.

Even if it is liquid you will need to slosh it around or it won't seal, so if you just rolled it out the door slowly and tried to pump up the goo wouldn't be at the holes they need to fill!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    I'd left some for about 18 months on one bike, took them off recently to find it was still very liquid (but actually mostly water that I guess had got in during wet rides/cleaning). I just cleaned this out with kitchen paper and peeled off lumpy bits of sealant (especially around the bead), they went up first time when refitted
  • Remove the tire and check it out, if its anything like Stans you should replace it every 6 months.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube