Road Bike with relaxed geometry.

bluedog99
bluedog99 Posts: 183
edited October 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,
I am 56 and may be looking to invest in a carbon road bike. I am looking for a road bike with a slightly more comfortable position, than one that will put me in a low position. So I imagine a higher head tube would help as well as a relaxed geometry, if that is the right term. My current bike is a Rourke 853 audax, which I will probably use through winter, then use the new bike for dry conditions. What would you recommend? My top line would be around, £2,500, and thats taking advantage of the interest free options shops are offering.
Thanks.
Rourke 853 Team Pro Custom.

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    Trek Domane seems to be very well thought of as far as ride comfort is concerned. Should be some good deals around at present on 2015 models.
  • Trek Domane seems to be very well thought of as far as ride comfort is concerned. Should be some good deals around at present on 2015 models.

I got a Domane as I was suffering from lower back pain - the bike is simply amazing.
    Im just as fast as I was on much more aggressive bikes, but haven't had any discomfort at all on rides up to 100km so far - in fact, the bike is so much fun to ride I find myself wanting to get out on it even more.

All the hype about the Isospeed technology is actually true! The bike glides along, giving a very smooth ride, allowing you to just pedal away - the feeling is very hard to describe until you actually experience it!

I got a good deal on a 2015 5.2 from Cycles UK (who actually let me have a 20 minute test ride around the local area) - down to £2000 (and they offer finance).

Best of luck.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    If you don't mind going for one of the 'bigger' brands then look no further than a Cannondale Synapse. I think your £2.5K will buy a Carbon Synapse with Ultegra and disk brakes but It's a pity that you didn't think about this a couple of months ago as there were some real bargains around on the 2015 models (there are still some out there but in limited size choices). That's when I bought mine (the non-disk version) which has turned out to be a real cracker - I'm older than you and not quite as bendy as I used to be but find it very comfortable on long rides. Have a look at all the on line reviews including, of course, here at BR where it was named as runner up bike of the year the last time around.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Colnago CX Zero

A relaxed comfortable geometry but a responsive enough ride so as to make it feel really racy!!
  • Thanks for the replies, I will check them all out. My preference is for non disc brakes, it must be my age.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers.
  • ayjaycee
    On that basis, I would repeat my earlier advice on the Synapse Carbon Ultegra. A quick Google suggests there still seems to be plenty of availability of the 2015 model in most sizes and, at £1700 (down from £2K), there would be plenty left in the budget for a wheel upgrade (and other stuff) if so inclined - at very least, new rubber would be essential. Here's mine if you're interested:
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13035154&p=19686661&hilit=cannondale+synapse+carbon#p19686661
    It might not have an 'exotic' name attached to it but the quality of the bike will speak for itself.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Thanks for the update, the bike is a beaut. The stock wheels that come with various bikes is something I have been looking at. I am not sure of their quality, so an up grade of wheels would make sense, especially if done at point of sale. Rather than have two sets!
    Cheers.
  • On that basis, I would repeat my earlier advice on the Synapse Carbon Ultegra. A quick Google suggests there still seems to be plenty of availability of the 2015 model in most sizes and, at £1700 (down from £2K), there would be plenty left in the budget for a wheel upgrade (and other stuff) if so inclined - at very least, new rubber would be essential. Here's mine if you're interested:
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13035154&p=19686661&hilit=cannondale+synapse+carbon#p19686661
    It might not have an 'exotic' name attached to it but the quality of the bike will speak for itself.
    What is the Cannondale sizing like? I am 5` 11" . Would it be 56 or 58 ?
    Cheers.
  • ayjaycee
    Others will have a different opinion to me but I really don't believe there is a lot wrong with the Mavic Aksiums supplied with the bike (the Mavic tyres are a different story though) - OK they are a bit heavy but I'm not sure that I notice significant difference in the real world. It just happens that I already had a set of Fulcrum Racing 5 LGs with Continental 4 Seasons on mu other bike and swapped them for the Mavics. They are probably a bit stiffer and seem better in corners but I certainly don't think they make me any faster.

As to sizing, I'm a shade under 6'1" and a 56 fits me just fine. Ditto my Allez which is also 56.
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • Thanks once again.
    Cheers.
  • A colnago C60 with the High geometry

http://colnago.com/geometry-c60/

don't know how much it is btw..
  • bluedog99
    A colnago C60 with the High geometry

It is most likely worth more than my car!
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Bianchi Infinito CV
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    A colnago C60 with the High geometry

I hadn't heard of this 'high geometry', fairdoos to them for making them with taller head tubes for the old folk.
  • ianSWBB
    ianSWBB Posts: 25
    Colnago C60 High Geometry
    105 spec with Fulcrum Quattros - so basic enough to get you going but not too basic everything is going to break 2 minutes down the line - you're looking at £4,000
    On the plus side, this bike comes in the best colour options of all the bikes aforementioned :)
    (apart from maybe the celeste? ;) )
  • Domane , absolutely.

Easily the comfiest seriously fast bike I`ve ever ridden.

Once you have experienced the Isospeed decoupler thingy, you`ll be astounded
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • ayjaycee
    I think if I was looking to spend £4K on a bike, Colnago or otherwise, I would be wanting more than 105 (as good as that might be). As to colour options, I know it's a very personal thing but there's an awful lot of black on display. That said, they probably look a lot better in the flesh - then again, I ride Cannondale and Specialized so what do I know?
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • I wanted the same and plumped for a Giant Defy Advanced.

Great value for money in the sales. Really is an all day comfort bike. Doesn't beat you up and is just as strong as previous more 'aggressive' geometry bikes I have owned.

I've owned a Synapse and the Defy offers better comfort and value.
  • Pinarello rokh .. Great bike
  • blackpoolkev
    blackpoolkev Posts: 474
    edited October 2015
    My brother is 5' 9" and rides a 54 cm Cannondale Synapse. He reckons it's a perfect for him, on that basis a 56cm should suit your 5' 11" requirements.
    I think this may suit your needs - nice wheels, good all round spec, no disc brakes, top end frame and some change from your £2.5k budget.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5465/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-HI-MOD-ULTEGRA-2014
    only one left be quick.
    I have no association with the seller - just trying to be helpful.
  • bluedog99
    Colnago CX Zero

A relaxed comfortable geometry but a responsive enough ride so as to make it feel really racy!!
    What size frame would be suitable for a 5` 11" person be? What do they retail at?
    Cheers.
  • bluedog99
    My brother is 5' 9" and rides a 54 cm Cannondale Synapse. He reckons it's perfect for him, on that basis a 56cm should suit your 5' 11" requirements.
    I think this may suit your needs - nice wheels, good all round spec, no disc brakes, top end frame and some change from your £2.5k budget.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p5465/CANNONDALE-SYNAPSE-HI-MOD-ULTEGRA-2014
    only one left be quick.
    I have no association with the seller - just trying to be helpful.
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. The bikes listed in the thread are all on my list, I am doing as much research as possible on sizing and any deals new or used.
    Thanks once again.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Do you have the geometry for your custom frame? This would give a better indicator to your ideal frame size.
    The Canyon Endurance is also an option - you get a lot of bike for the money.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Roubaix like mine :-)

The highest head tube on the market, disc or rim brakes, lovely comfortable ride.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • bluedog99
    Whoops! Sorry I missed your posts. I will check the Roubaix and Defy out.
    Cheers.
  • Don't get all hung up on weight of bike, for a sportive you want quality comfort, pinarello rokh meets that
    plus it looks the don too!!