Differences in pedals Road/Mtb

c4et
c4et Posts: 3
edited September 2015 in Road buying advice
Hello everyone!!

currently i use mtb pedals on road bike,if i replace to the road pedals will i notice a difference in speed?

Comments

• Hello everyone!!

currently i use mtb pedals on road bike,if i replace to the road pedals will i notice a difference in speed?

No.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    yes - you'll be slower as you won't be able to clip in ....

or ... rather ... no - providing the setup is comfortable there is no descernable difference between the pedal types - the double-sided pedal has the advantage of being easy to clip in - no orientation of the pedal first, the single sided requires orientation, but supposedly spreads the load over a greater area of your foot - reducing the chance of hotspots - but this depends on the shoe you're using too ...

I've got both and can honestly say I notice no difference - other than the orientation thing ...
  • c4et
    c4et Posts: 3
    edited September 2015
    many thanks to the quick response!

I'm glad to hear that, because many talking about road pedals ; have a larger stepping surface, power transmission is higher and thereby the acceleration

my set up :
    specialized tarmac expert 2015
    shimano xt
    shimano m34 mtb shoes 2015

this pedals are lefted from before,and i use it to my new tarmac..so i m more then satisfied with this set up
    the only thing that seems a little silly is how does it look like...
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    I used to ride with MTB clipless until I had a conversation with someone about the merits of road pedals or more importantly the shoes over MTB. When using MTB the shoes tend to be more flexible than road shoes. The extra stiffness in road shoes ensures all the power you produce is channelled through to the pedals. With MTB shoes you lose a bit of power due to the flex. At my/your level this is loss is almost immeasurable so has no real effect on how fast your go but over time its shows itself as fatigue. So on a longer ride you will start to tire quicker than you would with stiff road shoes/pedals.

This might be complete twaddle but it made a lot of sense to me when heard it and immediately made the change.

P
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Hello everyone!!

Not one little bit.

Using a decent MTB shoe, you will notice no measurable difference in power transfer (whatever that is! Where does this power disappear to with flexy shoes?), nor will you be more likely to suffer from hot foot.

Plenty of people in my world using MTB pedals and riding a long way on them.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I used to ride with MTB clipless until I had a conversation with someone about the merits of road pedals or more importantly the shoes over MTB. When using MTB the shoes tend to be more flexible than road shoes. The extra stiffness in road shoes ensures all the power you produce is channelled through to the pedals. With MTB shoes you lose a bit of power due to the flex. At my/your level this is loss is almost immeasurable so has no real effect on how fast your go but over time its shows itself as fatigue. So on a longer ride you will start to tire quicker than you would with stiff road shoes/pedals.

This might be complete twaddle but it made a lot of sense to me when heard it and immediately made the change.

P

If you take many shoe manufacturers their equivalent shoe models for mtb and road share the same basic sole, so this doesn't make sense. Yes you can say a bendy shoe is not as good, but mtb shoes are not automatically more bendy than road shoes. (Of course, some MTB-ers use trainer-esque shoes and they are more bendy and don't have a road equivalent).

The pedal choice is a separate issue and should make some difference although people don't often claim to feel it. Then of course there's the fact that mtb shoes as far as the passing air is concerned are like road shoes with a bunch of lego bricks stuck to the bottom, so there's a tiny bit of extra drag happening there (but not enough to measure to any relevance).
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Top quality road shoes and pedals certainly look faster.......!!

Peter
  • MTb pedals on winter and summer bike with a pair of Scott £ 39.99 mtb shoes.
    Did a 77 mile hilly sportive on Saturday and came well up the field for finishing times , its not the shoes its the Legs (and loads of training).
    regards
    ILG
  • There's various made up rubbish around about better performance from 'road' pedals, and the marketing men don't mind because they want stupid people with money to think they can buy themselves faster. As for sole flex, the truth is more that you can buy SPD shoes that are OK(ish) to walk in because there wouldn't be any point making shoes like that with exposed cleats.

In terms of the practical differences between the two pedal types, I use both, and the things I like about SPD are the cleat life and durability, and the double-sided pedals. Being able to walk can be really handy as well if you like to get around by bike.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have SPD pedals on both road bikes and a pair of touring shoes. They look like road shoes, are plenty stiff enough for comfortable day long rides, and the cleat is recessed into a rubber sole so I can walk around normally. The cleats last for years. Win-win.

The shoes are Nikes, sadly no longer made, but Shimano do a few touring shoes.
  • Mattcee
    Mattcee Posts: 148
    I used to use some MTB Shimano pedals with MTB Shimano shoes and since swapping to road shoes + pedals I noticed only 3 differences.

1. The road shoe is lighter and a little more comfortable for road use.
    2. I used to get a 'hot area' with the MTB pedal/shoe as the pedal had a smaller surface area - i don't get it with road shoes/pedals as the road pedal has a bigger surface area.
    3. Road shoes are harder to clip in than SPD's being one sided and they always feel a little looser.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Probably not significantly faster, although everything in cycling makes a difference, so as they are not any slower, they probably are actually a little faster (just don't measure it) :wink:

Is speed your only goal? How about asking if they are better?
    They are very different in non speed terms, so maybe you would just...... enjoy them more (sorry if enjoyment of cycling through spending money/doing something a bit more road specific offends anyone).

Not worth changing for no good reason, but maybe consider when you need a new pair of shoes.
    I rode on my MTB's for ages and then got road. I much prefer road and would never go back.
    I use MTB on the cyclocross/commute bike.

Maybe only take advice from people that have used both, rather than haters of one.
    Stick with MTB forever if you like, but don't become a hater :wink:
  • I used to use some MTB Shimano pedals with MTB Shimano shoes and since swapping to road shoes + pedals I noticed only 3 differences.

1. The road shoe is lighter and a little more comfortable for road use.
    2. I used to get a 'hot area' with the MTB pedal/shoe as the pedal had a smaller surface area - i don't get it with road shoes/pedals as the road pedal has a bigger surface area.
    3. Road shoes are harder to clip in than SPD's being one sided and they always feel a little looser.

The 'hot spots' thing on account of smaller contact patch is a myth; the problem is more likely with the shoe. I use an older pair of road shoes for commuting etc and my feet get uncomfortable on really long rides.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You can get 2-bolt road shoes for SPD, I have a pair. I spent 14 hours in them on Saturday without any problems, so they do a decent enough job.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}