Lezyne pumps.

2»

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Joe Blow Sport is what I've had for 5 years and still going strong. Mounted on one bike I also have a Topeak Road Morph with a little inline gauge. The pump is great because it's like a tiny track pump complete with flexible hose; indeed it was all I used for 3 years.
    But my deteriorating eyesight means the gauge is hard to read now (must get some prescription cycling specs or start carrying a pair of readers). Doesn't really matter; out on the road I'd only inflate a tyre till it felt OK when given a good squeeze. The specs would come in handy when fixing a puncture though; hard to spot thorns or tiny shards of flint in a tyre or holes in a tube without...
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    I have one of the Lenzyne track pumps. I think its the digital floor drive.

The gauge has started to act odd.

When you want to top-up the inner tubes.... Connect, gauge reads 0 psi, give the pump one stroke, it feels solid and then jumps over what you want to 120 psi, 134 , 140.

The only way to ensure the correct pressure ( I like to run at 100psi) is to let some air out the inner tube and pump it back up again.

The connector of the track pump is a screwthread, this has caused me a lot of hassle just before the start of Sportives and a waiting club ride, when I tried to disconnect the Lenzyne and it took out the core of the inner tube with it !!! 100psi - 0 psi in one second. The valve core was stuck inside every time I tried to unscrew the track pump. A dab of chain oil on the valve screw thread sorted it out. Its also why I won't use a one-shot CO2 inflator.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • MiniMalts
    MiniMalts Posts: 266
    I went to a well known bike shop the other day and explained what was happening and they got rather interested. 5 minutes later and a couple of guys had grabbed a selection of pumps including track pumps and had begun to compare them on a bike. They couldn't believe just how much the Lezynes were misreading. One of them went as far as to say he wouldn't be recommending any Lezyne pumps.

I returned the pump to where I bought it as I was passing and they tested it against a pump they use in their shop and thought it shocking that it could mis read anywhere between 15 and 20psi.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803

Topeak Joe Blow Sport. It's what a lot of shops use themselves which all the recommendation you need and they don't cost a fortune.

Mine's been great - gets a lot of use and the gauge seems to be fairly accurate. Not got anything to really measure it against but when I put what pressure I need into road and mtb tyres they seem to ride and compress how I'd expect.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I They couldn't believe just how much the Lezynes were misreading. One of them went as far as to say he wouldn't be recommending any Lezyne pumps..

So they wouldn't recommended gaugeless pumps because the gauges on the gauged pumps are inaccurate?

I would avoid having any work done on a bike in a shop where the staff have that level of inability to apply logic!

I probably should go and check mine - I'll report back in a month or two after I've got round to it.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MiniMalts
    I They couldn't believe just how much the Lezynes were misreading. One of them went as far as to say he wouldn't be recommending any Lezyne pumps..

So they wouldn't recommended gaugeless pumps because the gauges on the gauged pumps are inaccurate?

I would avoid having any work done on a bike in a shop where the staff have that level of inability to apply logic!

I probably should go and check mine - I'll report back in a month or two after I've got round to it.

Well considering we were testing pumps with gauges they would have meant not recommending any Lezyne with a built in gauge. Sheesh.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    my lezynes match the sks track pump and sks digital gauge within about 0.5 bar, so i'm happy to keep on using the whole lot

either way, the outcome of undefined test protocols on small sample sizes in uncontrolled conditions is no basis for rational decision
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Well considering we were testing pumps with gauges they would have meant not recommending any Lezyne with a built in gauge. Sheesh.

Apologies. I didn't realise that you wrote the post assuming readers had been in the shop at the time. I was just making my comment based on what you said! :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • MiniMalts
    my lezynes match the sks track pump and sks digital gauge within about 0.5 bar, so i'm happy to keep on using the whole lot

either way, the outcome of undefined test protocols on small sample sizes in uncontrolled conditions is no basis for rational decision

How old are your Lezyne pumps?
  • sungod
    3-5 years, sks similar
  • MiniMalts
    3-5 years, sks similar

I wonder if the older ones are just better quality and the newer ones they have cut costs so much on they are basically just rubbish. They look nice though, that's about it.
  • sungod
    i bought a new gauge couple of years ago after damagin the hose, looks exactly the same, doubt there's any cross-range change

like i say, whether results are perfect or awful, unless it's a trial with many many units and a controlled and relevant test protocol, i wouldn't draw conclusions either way; low cost (irrespective of price, all bike pumps are low cost) pumps with gauges are mass-market items, not guaranteed to have any accuracy at all

if you want to get a multipoint calibration test across a range of temperatures, it'll cost more than most pumps cost

at the end of the day, what you need is repeatability, learn where the thing points that is good to ride, stick to that (knock a bit off if the road is wet), doesn't matter if it says 7bar or wibble, as long as it's consistent
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I got the Road Drive larger model a few years ago because my previous frame pump rattled. Lezyne have paid attention to making sure it does not rattle and I felt returning to a hose was another benefit.

I find it works about as well as the previous pump. I have the inline gauge and noticed immediately that it was not reliable so I use it only as a indication now. It indicates I can't get it to pump above about 70 psi.

On occasion the shaft/plunger?? has unscrewed and I've been left with the plunger in one hand and the barrel in the other.