First bike for 3 year old

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited September 2015 in Family & kids cycling forum
Hi.

I'm at the point of needing a bike for my 3 yr old son, at 103cm already hes prety tall already so looking at 12" wheels.
I just can't believe how heavy the bikes I've been looking at are, are there any good recommendations out there?

Ideally a budget of £60, and I've got British ccling discount at CRC and halfords

I have been looking at second hand stuff, but can't find anything suitable locally on eBay, gumtree, or the local Facebook groups.
Ta
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• That's tall indeed. My ladis about 96cm at 2.75 years. He's only got a balance bike which he's had from 2. Took a bit to get the hang of it as too short for it.

I'll be interested to find out what is recommended and what you get. We'll be looking for a proper bike shortly, with stabilizers.
  • We'll be looking for a proper bike shortly, without stabilizers.

FTFY. Given he's got the hang of a balance bike now, I can't see why you would bother with stabilizers...

_
  • Also keen to see what people recommend..

My lad just turned 3 and a tad small for his age.. I actually got him a 2nd balance bike. He was given a lovely wooden one as a present but it was just too heavy. Just got a new decathlon one which is really light and he took to it straight way...

Would ideally like him not to have to get a bike with stabilisers at all and interesting to hear how people have got on with the transition and after how long before the switch to a pedal bike...
  • I've just ordered a Apollo claws 14 for £39 from halfords. Cheap bso, but can't as anything else in that cost range at the moment.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Would ideally like him not to have to get a bike with stabilisers at all and interesting to hear how people have got on with the transition and after how long before the switch to a pedal bike...

My three have all made the transition without stabilizers. I think that they were all around 3 - 3.5 when they went from balance bike to pedal bike - they were certainly all confident at scooting along on the balance bike. The eldest was off and away within 100m - it was just starting off that took a little longer to learn. The middle one was the slowest to start pedalling but, even then, it didn't take too long and I don't think that it would have been any quicker or easier with stabilizers...

_