Hill climb novice question

NikProwse
NikProwse Posts: 22
edited November 2015 in Amateur race
Hi

I'm not a racer, I do some long-distance sportives, but have never raced against other people. There's a hill climb run by a local cycling club on a hill I know well. It's a beast, and I love cycling up it. Distance is 1.5 km. Course record is 4 min 30 sec, it takes me about 10 minutes. As someone who's never entered an event like this before, but fancies giving it a try, are there any tips you can give? Do these events only bring out the hardcore elite, or do they get more 'general' riders too. I'm nervous about entering, but would like to give it a try.

TIA
Nik

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Hill climbs, like regular time trials, are only partly about competing with others. It's more about competing with yourself - being better than last time etc.

One thing is for sure - on your first attempt, you're always guaranteed a personal best!

Go for it! I am sure you will beat your best time anyway - as soon as you get a number on your back, you have the biggest performance boost possible!
  • Thanks for your encouragement, Marcus. I've entered....we'll see how it goes!
    Nik
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Only tips are pick your lightest possible bike and remove anything from it that isn't needed. As Marcus said the number on your back is worth a couple of mph, just remember, if you can still see by the finish line you haven't gone hard enough!
  • My advice:

1. Don't start too hard: You'll go much faster at a steady pace, than getting excited at the beginning then blowing up (which is easy to do). So from your non-competing rides up the climb, have an idea of the speed at which you want to climb. Start off close to that, and if you still feel good at the halfway point, speed up.

2. Don't climb in too hard a gear: You ideally want your cadence to stay above 75 (really above 85, but that can be hard for beginners).

3. Based on the distance and record time it's pretty steep. You will probably do best riding with your hands on top of the handlebars, to emphasize the power from your glutes.

4. Stand up for a few seconds every few minutes, to use different muscles and give your legs a stretch.

Good luck!!
  • Thanks guys, excellent advice. It's 20% at the bottom and then turns into a less steep, steady slog for the remaining kilometre. So starting too quick isn't an option. I feel I can speed up in the later stages because the gradient doesn't get worse towards the end. I'm taking everything unnecessary off my bike that I can think of (including the Brooks saddle...)
    I'm dead chuffed I've entered this - totally outside my comfort zone, but really looking forward to it!
    Cheers
    Nik
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Thanks guys, excellent advice. It's 20% at the bottom and then turns into a less steep, steady slog for the remaining kilometre. So starting too quick isn't an option. I feel I can speed up in the later stages because the gradient doesn't get worse towards the end. I'm taking everything unnecessary off my bike that I can think of (including the Brooks saddle...)
    I'm dead chuffed I've entered this - totally outside my comfort zone, but really looking forward to it!
    Cheers
    Nik

I just saw that one of my local clubs is also arranging a hill climb. I am very tempted.
    Insert bike here:
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/product-news/jack-pullars-hill-climb-bike-36725

Some inspiration on getting the weight of the bike down. Chopped down brake blocks!

Best of luck to all!
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Our local hill climb TT is a bit different, 5.1km at 6%. I agree with all the advice that’s been given, and would add that its worth experimenting with the climb. Try it seated and looking like an egg whisk, standing in a big gear, and everything in between. Everyone has a different style, and you'll need to learn what works best for you on any particular climb.

I don't know if the road will be closed to traffic? If it is, remember to use the whole road and cut the corners. Also try and ride on the smoothest part of the road, it might by psychological, but I always feel faster when the road buzz is minimised.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    So how did you get on, Nik?